• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. fj55mike

This is what I'm moving towards

Eric, I have a 4age 20V Black top that I'm working on putting into the Sunbeam. I have finally gathered most of the parts to do the conversion, and I am stripping the engine bay and cleaning up the tranny right now. As soon as I start doing interesting things, I'll take some pictures and...
  2. fj55mike

jaguar xke series1 wire wheels

Compare the hub sizes from the E and the Sunbeam. The Jag hub is huge, and I think that even if you managed to somehow adapt the Jag hubs to the Alpine axles, you'd have a problem with offset, turning radius, and old rusty Jaguar wheels. It could be done with enough time, money, and custom...
  3. fj55mike

Toyota 5 speed

A Toyota 2T is a 4-cylinder engine that was in very early non-US Celicas and some Corollas. Here is a very good resource that lists most of the RWD Toyota transmissions. I think most people are going with either T50 or W58 transmissions. T50's came attached to A and T series engines...
  4. fj55mike

Wooden Steering Wheel Restoration

Just for some clarification: Do you use furniture stripper or can you use something like aircraft stripper? How do you clean the wood after you strip it? Water, laquer thinner, etc? Also, is there an online source for Polyurethane varnish? Since I'm only about 900 miles away from a body...
  5. fj55mike

For you modified Alpiners: 20HP w/monster torque

Steam The guy who sold me my "E" Type is building a steam powered Bonneville top speed car. It's got an engine from a Dobel I believe, makes about 500 lb-ft of torque at 800 rpm. He figures it should be good for about 120 mph on the salt. He's using a fiberglass Model T pickup body and a...
  6. fj55mike

Very Rare Optional Bonnet Mascot

What's the matter, sweetie, got a bee up your bonnet?
  7. fj55mike

Steering Wheel Re-cast

This is a cool idea. Are their prices reasonable? Do they have a mold for the early S1 steering wheel? --Mike
  8. fj55mike

Youtube -On board a Mark 5 Spitfire

Spitfire pilots also had a great deal of trouble adapting to the Griffon-engined marks (starting with the MK XII) because the engine spun the opposite direction from the Merlin. So when they'd go to take off, the torque would spin them the opposite way that they were expecting and correcting...
  9. fj55mike

Hey, Jan - More aviation stuff

Jan, I just saw you posting over at the Aerodrome. Do you build models as well, or are you just interested in the history of the planes? Here is a link to a small selection of the models I've built. Anyone else build models? Mike
  10. fj55mike

Dash Restoration

I am interested in restoring the original plastic dash for my S1 Alpine, and have a few questions: What is a good way to strip the old paint off without damaging the plastic? I have some stripper designed for use on plastic models, will that work? Aircraft Stripper? What kind of paint...
  11. fj55mike

Tricks to installing Doors

In order to get the gaps right, I like to put stacks of 2-3 tongue depressors in the gap all the way around. Then, I can use a feeler gage to measure the thickness of the shims that I need to install. It's still kind of guess-and-check, but it works well for me. --Mike
  12. fj55mike

1964 alpine 4 sale in NJ

I'm sure that's what he meant. Who would want puny, anemic little fin-lets?:D
  13. fj55mike

14' wheels and tires

Michael, What width are those Falkens you're running? They look absolutely great on a big fin 'pine! --Mike
  14. fj55mike

Rocker Panels (sills)

Does anyone have any experience with replacement rocker panels from the usual sources? My car needs a new driver's side sill desperately, and I would really like to replace the whole part by drilling out all the spot welds and using a completely new stamping. Are any of the replacement sills...
  15. fj55mike

Wanted: Series 1 Steering wheel and horn/trim ring

Hi, I'm looking for a S1 Steering wheel with a horn/trim ring. Doesn't matter if it's in perfect shape, but something with all the parts that is able to be restored. I'm in El Paso, TX. Thanks, Mike
  16. fj55mike

Sunbeam Hardtop FS

Sorry, but Troy MI is a long, long, long way away from El Paso, TX! I think it would probably be too expensive to ship as well. Dallas, on the other hand, is close enough for me. I'll pm you for details.
  17. fj55mike

Yellow Alpine in Indian Rock video

Yep, the red car is a Toyota 800 Sport. They are cool cars, even smaller than a spridget!
  18. fj55mike

Sunbeam Hardtop FS

Dibs if you're reasonably close to me. Where are you located? --Mike
  19. fj55mike

Series 3 Alpine for sale on Yahoo

That's very interesting, my E-type came from a dealer in Paris as well, and I have a similar data plate Click me. That's an interesting thought about the servicemen, but were there any U.S. Military in Paris by the 60's? --mike
  20. fj55mike

Miata Engine and tranny swap

I am going to use a bellhousing and rwd T50 5-spd tranny out of a Corolla GTS that I got for $150 on evil-bay. Any rwd T series transmission will bolt directly up to any A or T series engine, flywheel, and bellhousing, so that's handy. I recieved the engine, and I've decided that it would...