• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. P

No spark frustration

Could well be. It was on a SIV that was in storage for 27 years. So at least that old. Its over-sprayed with green paint as the original owner let the kids at the local tech school paint it for him back in 1995. It would already have been 30 years old back then so an aftermarket seems likely.
  2. P

No spark frustration

It's not the easiest thing to see but as I said, instead of those 2 brown wires terminating at the solenoid they go under it and are wrapped in electrical tape. Then those wires are spliced into one brown wire heading back into the firewall. This picture shows the wire they are spliced to. It's...
  3. P

No spark frustration

4. P

No spark frustration

Ok. So the green wire went to a switch under the dash that didn't seem to be connected to anything. I pulled the wire from the fuse block and no more blown fuses. I'm leaning towards the light toggle switch being bad. I do remember when I first got the car that it would take a few clicks on and...
  5. P

No spark frustration

Mike. On my solenoid I have everything except #4. Those wires just loop back to the firewall/bulkhead and disappear....or so it seems. That's how it was when I bought the car. I've been driving the car that way for 3-4 years. My fuse block has 3 green wires on the same post as yours and one...
  6. P

No spark frustration

So as I mentioned the car now runs. One thing I did notice when looking at a post about starter solenoids was that my wiring is not the one I saw pictured. What I was seeing in the post was the white/ green wire going from the solenoid to the coil. I have this and it will start either...
  7. P

No spark frustration

Both solenoids were essentially identical. ( 2 main posts and two blade connections) the car with the issues did indeed have the white and green wire. There is also an extra brown wire that attaches to one of the main posts on the car that was having issues. This was missing on the donor car but...
  8. P

No spark frustration

9. P

No spark frustration

SOLVED!!!! Thank you, Mike!! All of those symptoms came back to the starter solenoid. I swapped out the relatively brand new shiny one for the older than the hills, over-sprayed green, original one from the donor and she started first crank!!! I was starting to think that I'd forgotten how to...
  10. P

No spark frustration

Ok loose electrical would seem to be it. Here's the final piece of the puzzle perhaps? In addition to the originally listed issues, I had an ignition switch that seemed to stick in the cranking position. So, all the symptoms as listed except that I also replaced the ignition switch. The...
  11. P

No spark frustration

Thanks James. I'll take a look at that. Sounds like something I may well have done. Went out in the pitch black with the spark tester last night and no hint of a spark at the plugs.
  12. P

No spark frustration

I changed out the ignition switch. Same symptoms. The rotor shaft is turning. I know this because I reset the points that I replaced. Cranking the HT lead from the coil to the oil filler cap (only place I can reach bare metal and still see it from inside car as I have no help) the spark seemed...
  13. P

No spark frustration

Mxp01 no if I had spark at the plugs I wouldnt have a problem.
  14. P

No spark frustration

I should have said that I also changed the rotor. I basically took everything one part at a time from the running spares car to this one. Everything worked on the donor car. I'll take another look at it tomorrow. Could be the actual distributor, the ignition switch and ignition relay too I...
  15. P

No spark frustration

The cap,wires,points,ht lead and coil were taken off one of my other Alpines and are known good. Started it right before the swap. Started with the coil. Then then cap, then rotor and finally the points. The spark I saw across the points was from setting the gap with the feeler gauge without...
  16. P

No spark frustration

I'm hoping someone has a suggestion. Hopped in the Alpine today to take it for a spin. It's been 6 weeks since I last started it. Cranked but would not start. I changed the distributer cap, coil and the points, condenser and HT lead. I reset the gap. I get 12v at the coil. I get spark across...
  17. P

Engine stalling

I thought I had updated this thread. I upped the RPM to 1000 and had no further issues. Car has since sat due to bad weather and obligations. Turned the ignition a few days ago and it locked in the crank position even when returned. Had to disconnect battery. So perhaps a bad ignition switch was...
  18. P

Engine stalling

I understand some time has passed but I never did answer thus question. Yes I take it out of gear as I approach a stop for the reason you mentioned.
  19. P

Engine stalling

So a quick update. I managed to get out for a spin. I upped the idle to 1000 rpm from 850. No stalling issues. I'll swap out the coil when I get a chance and perhaps go electronic ignition. It will still drop RPMs a little at some stops but being higher it only drops momentarily to around 850...
  20. P

Engine stalling

I bought the manifold maybe 2 years ago and the car has had very very little use. Had a long chat with Jerome at Alpine Innovations and sent a picture over. I believe that it's an issue other than the carb and manifold. Most likely electrical. He makes really great stuff and has many happy...