• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. hopsedge

Roll-bar plans & specs?

Greetings All- I'm considering installing a roll bar in my '67 SV. Not only would it provide the obvious shoulder seat belt benefits, but I also like the look of the them. A few questions: 1) Can these be fabricated (or purchased) to allow clearance of the hard top? I assume they typically...
  2. hopsedge

Now what? Oil in headers

I’ve recently installed the AI Uk Weber conversion and intake manifold on my ‘67 SV. I’ve also fitted headers in place of the orig exhaust manifold, replaced the mech fuel pump with an electric (1.5-4 psi), and messed with timing significantly. After many months of not running at all I got it...
  3. hopsedge

Photos please- positioning of cold air induction filter

Can someone who has installed the AI Weber carb conversion with cold air induction on a SV please post a couple photos illustrating how you routed the air intake hose and where you positioned the K&E cone filter? Also, if you fabricated a bracket to hold the cone filter, can you show that, too...
  4. hopsedge

Y-pipe to fit SV headers

When I bought my '67 SV a few years ago the "parts bin" it came with included a pair of headers. I have mounted those headers on the car in lieu of the stock exhaust manifold, and I find that the two pipes that should slide into the receiving end of the "Y-piece" beneath the driver's footwell...
  5. hopsedge

where to find the 2.75-inch manifold studs?

Does anyone know anywhere in the U.S. to find two of the "long" manifold studs for a SV? This is part #29805244 in the Rootes Parts Manual (“Stud, 5/16” UNF/UNC x 2 ¾”) illustrated on Plate D- Section AA. SS sells the studs for the downpipe, but not these (I spoke with Rick this afternoon)...
  6. hopsedge

Exhaust double-down pipes

I have my intake and exhaust manifolds removed, in part to replace the gasket at the double-down pipes. When I bought this car a few yrs ago (‘67 SV) a pair of headers came included in the misc parts bin. I do not know whether they would fit, but my question is: Should I bother trying? What...
  7. hopsedge

Static timing (Pertronix): please confirm

Can someone please confirm the following order of operations for setting the static timing of a Pertronix ignition? Connect a test lamp between coil (-) and earth. Turn the engine in the normal direction of rotation until the desired timing marks line up. Loosen the distributor clamp so you...
  8. hopsedge

Distributor problem?

So, one thing leads to another… I’m trying to set the static timing on a SV with Pertronix ignition & using the WSM as a guide (even though it assumes points). Well, I notice that the vernier knob of the dizzy seems to have a clasp behind it to hold it in place (i.e., to hold the vernier knob...
  9. hopsedge

Help with Strombergs after rebuild

‘67 SV with electronic low pressure Facet Posiflow fuel pump. I’ve rebuilt both Strombergs, but now having trouble starting and staying running. I’ve followed all “Adjustments” in Section C of the WSM twice, but the car is very difficult to start & will not stay running. It tries for a few...
  10. hopsedge

One last Stromberg question

I have completely rebuilt my twin Stroms on a ‘67 SV with much help from this forum & DanR’s generosity. Despite that I took 10,000 photos along the way, I somehow failed to capture where this spring on the rear carb starter bar attaches. Fig 9 in Section C of the WSM shows the bracket on the...
  11. hopsedge

demystifying Stromberg carburetors (resources for newbies)

Here are a couple of websites that may help to demystify components of Stromberg carburetors for newbies like myself. The diagrams and descriptions of the Strombergs in the WSM are good, but these websites include color illustrations and additional step-by-step instructions that complement those...
  12. hopsedge

Stromberg float hinge bracket is broken

I took off the float bowl from the bottom of one my twin Stromberg carbs on a SV and found that a PO had used JBWeld or something similar to reaffix one of the two small brackets that hold the float hinge (see photos). Needless to say, as soon as I tried to remove the float hinge from the...
  13. hopsedge

Looking for SV fuel tank cross-pipe

Looking for the cross-pipe b/t the fuel tanks of a ‘67 SV. I had my tanks and cross-pipe recoated this week, & the shop dropped something very heavy on the long section of the pipe (not the elbows). It crimped and bent one side so badly that it won’t even fit in the car. Before I start...
  14. hopsedge

thread size/type of the cross-pipe outlet to fuel line?

This is hopefully a simple question for someone: Does anyone know the thread size of the male nipple off the cross-pipe that connects to the fuel line beneath the license plate? Is that a compression fitting, or something altogether different? I have dropped off the tanks and pipes for cleaning...
  15. hopsedge

Fuel delivery problem?

I’m not certain I am having a fuel delivery problem, but something is definitely different than it always has been. Driving a ‘67 SV with a mechanical fuel pump with a “standard” inline fuel filter b/t the mech pump and the carbs. For as long as I can remember that filter has typically been...
  16. hopsedge

remounting horn ring on SV

Yes, I know; another horn ring question. I am remounting my steering wheel and horn ring after having it removed for a number of months, including a beautiful new hub purchased from Eric G. late last year. I never disassembled the horn ring itself, so all of the little pieces illustrated in...
  17. hopsedge

quick speedo question for newbie

I've read a number of posts about speedo cables, how to route them, why they "snap," etc. But how can you tell if the speedo cable has snapped without moving the car? I was reattaching my speedo cable to the back of the speedo itself, when the inner cable suddenly seemed to slide out of the...
  18. hopsedge

Rookie's guide for replacing a ventilation box door

A few weeks ago I started a thread seeking help to replace a ventilation box door on a SV Alpine. https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/ventilation-door-conundrum.30561/ I received great input from the author of an old forum post and excellent advice and encouragement from a...
  19. hopsedge

ventilation door conundrum

I am trying to replace the fresh air ventilation door on only the passenger side of a left-hand drive '67 SV. The dash is off the car, and so is the entire wiring harness. I really do not want to remove the whole vent housing from the car by drilling out rivets, etc. etc., so I am trying to...
  20. hopsedge

cleaning & refreshing gauges

I want to remove the glass face and bevel of some of my Smiths Jaeger gauges to clean up the faces and maybe repaint the needles. Other than the usual risk of shoving something sharp into my hand while trying to unbend the bevel clasps, is there any other reason I should not do this? I assume...