• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. CRBASIN

1725 Head for Sale

$75. I sent pictures to another person who said it was not a fresh rebuild.
  2. CRBASIN

1725 Head for Sale

I sold my SV last week and did not include a spare head in the deal. The head is from a rebuilt engine that I purchased in 2016 that seized after only a few miles (probably my fault). I have no idea what it is worth and will entertain any reasonable offers. I live in Silver Spring MD. John
  3. CRBASIN

Fuel & Temp Gauge Troubleshooting

Thanks for your responses. At this point, I am inclined to leave the gauge alone but collect more data as time permits. I will try to take a picture of the fuel and temp gauges in "test" mode and "check my electrical scrap boxes for resistors. I will also try to measure the temperature at the...
  4. CRBASIN

Fuel & Temp Gauge Troubleshooting

This is a very useful thread, and the document by Mike and Tom is even better. I used both to evaluate my temperature gauge accuracy. I found the following, after testing grounds and the digital voltage stabilizer. The resistance and temperature at the thermostat housing are in line with the...
  5. CRBASIN

Wiper Motor Park

Problem solved. Thanks for your help, Tom. After reading your description of the wiper park circuit and studying the WSM pages you sent in the second post, I figured out how park works--the absence of a ground. I think--but cannot prove--that the mystery ground was caused by a short (to ground)...
  6. CRBASIN

Wiper Motor Park

Great. This looks very good. The pages you sent in the second post don't seem to be in my WSM. Along with your suggestions, I think I will figure this out. Thanks Tom.
  7. CRBASIN

Wiper Motor Park

Thanks Tom. As far as I can tell, the workshop manual explains how to adjust the park position, but does not say how to clean the limit switch. Would the switch be under the domed cover? John
  8. CRBASIN

Wiper Motor Park

My SV wipers no longer park and run continuously (unless I pull the fuse). As I understand from reading old posts, there is a switch inside the wiper motor that opens and breaks the ground circuit when the wipers reach the park position. I removed the end plate of the motor (without taking out...
  9. CRBASIN

Two Tigers in DC Area

I was looking at Craigslist in Washington, DC and found two tigers. The first appears to be in running condition, the second is a project. I do not know these cars or their owners. . Odd that I've never seen the running Tiger--according to the Craigslist map, it is right in my neighborhood...
  10. CRBASIN

2 days of searching for Capri Calipers - can't find a source

Rebuilding calipers isn't that hard, even with stuck pistons. Check out my blog post explaining how I did it. In hindsight, I would have gone to the grease method sooner...
  11. CRBASIN

New Brake Lines for Series II

I made new lines for my Series V. Not hard at all with a few simple tools. I used a $25 Cal Van flaring tool to make the ends. NAPA sells this one. For bending, I used a $5 bender from the parts store more than an expensive one from Eastwood. You can read my blog post on the subject here. You...
  12. CRBASIN

Newbie with a '68 SV.

Welcome. Looks like you have a very nice project. I didn't see that anyone has mentioned the two main US suppliers, Classic Sunbeam and Sunbeam Specialties. Both are very helpful. I returned my Sunbeam to a runner, and have, for now at least, will keep it as a "survivor." You can read about...
  13. CRBASIN

Steering wheel cover

I ordered a custom cover https://wheelskins.com/ for another project because its steering wheel was very thin. As I recall, I supplied measurements for the wheel diameter and the thickness. You can see the covered wheel on the blog detailing the build, Factory Five kit car. Look under details...
  14. CRBASIN

Combining Electrical Circuits

I installed Paul's wiring harness last year. To add to the comments above: 1. Check the main power cable from the battery to the fuse block. My NASA engineer neighbor condemned the one in my car because of brittle insulation. 2. Add a large (maxi) fuse in this power cable. I did this near the...
  15. CRBASIN

Fuel Tank Contents

Chris, Are you going to replace the rubber hoses that connect the tanks? I have some leftover and would be happy to pass it along for shipping cost. John
  16. CRBASIN

Fuel Tank Contents

When I had my tanks professionally cleaned, the shop returned a dog bone.
  17. CRBASIN

1962 Alpine Dual cylinder master cylinder conversion.

I bought the F10 dual brake master but have decided not to install it. Let me know if you would like it. John
  18. CRBASIN

MGB alternator as replacement for stock series V alternator?

I installed the Hitachi 14321 with few problems I did need to hog out the mounting a let slides a bit. Works perfectly. John
  19. CRBASIN

Need Carburetor for a 1967 Sunbeam Apline

Looks like a pair of complete Stromberg CD 150s. You are missing the air cleaners and gaskets, which are readily available from Sunbeam Specialties and Classic Sunbeam. It also looks like you are missing the PCV hose and flame trap plumbing
  20. CRBASIN

Hot Ignition Switch

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. My car is a series V, and last year I replaced all of the wiring with Pete's kit. I don't think it is the lights since they are now on a relay, but will try some testing as Tom suggested. John