• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by Thistle Grey

1. Thistle Grey

S2 Alpine Distributor/Tach with a 1725cc engine swap?

I have a 1725 block in my S1 so I have the same problem, I can't fit the tach drive housing without the distributor no longer reaching the oil pump drive. An Alpine owner in Australia reached out and sent me the specifications for an adaptor he had a machine shop build to fit between the pump...
  2. Thistle Grey

fuel sending unit

I got mine from Sports & Classics (sportsandclassics.com) a few years ago. Part #1046608. They still have them listed for $109. Plastic float and they sent it with a longer rod that I had to cut and bend to my existing part, but other than that it works great.
  3. Thistle Grey

S1 Intake Manifold Question

Hi Ken, sorry for the slow response, it's tax season up here and that keeps me very busy for another couple of weeks. I have your address from sending you parts in 2015 if you are still at the same place in Coupeville? I get it packed up over the next couple of days and get back to you with...
  4. Thistle Grey

Hi Ken, I actually have three intakes all with the banjo attached. One for the car and two spares. After I sent the message yesterday I thought I would pull one of the banjos and clean it up. I guess there is a bit of corrosion in there because the bolt holding it to the manifold snapped when...
  5. Thistle Grey

Hi Ken, I have a couple of spares, if you want one, it's yours for the cost of freight. PM me, we have traded parts in the past. Barry
  6. Thistle Grey

S2 Boot, Bonnet, Covers for spare and battery.Free

All parts gone I originally put up this post offering parts in 2014. I have no idea why it has re-posted itself this week, I didn't re-post it. Sorry but all these parts are long gone.
  7. Thistle Grey

Early S1 Engine

Hi, is anyone out there doing a restoration on an early S1 and looking for an engine? I have #00517 sitting here as a back-up for my car, but I don't think I will ever need it. I don't know any of the history on it, but if there is any interest, I will pull the head to see what is in there...
  8. Thistle Grey

S2 Parts for sale

Hi matts63, sorry, no wheels, or top parts either. Barry
  9. Thistle Grey

Outer Cross Tube, SI, Right

Hi Ken, I think I have what you are looking for, 5 3/4" rod threaded both ends, 7/8" lock nuts on each end. Sound about right? The one I have has both nuts, but one seems a bit locked in place. I will have a go at it and see if I can get it lose tomorrow. Located just across the water from...
  10. Thistle Grey

SI Caliper/disk positioning

Good thought Gary, I pulled the hub and rotor off the left side last night and test fit it onto the right side and there was no problem with the fit. That would match with your idea that the bearing may not be properly seated. I'll pull the right hub apart and see what is going on in there.
  11. Thistle Grey

Any suggestions on how to pull the distance spacer? WSM says to split it and replace it. I can't fine any replacements so I am concerned about damaging it or the axle trying to get it off.
  12. Thistle Grey

Three photos attached to show the issue. The “distance spacer†on the axle is in place and fully seated. The hub and disk assembly is correctly assembled and tightened on the axle as per the WSM and there is no gap between the back bearing and the distance spacer. With the caliper mounted...
  13. Thistle Grey

Ok, as it is now I can't get the outside brake pad in because the rotor is too far out of center. When you say "grind it" are you referring to the back of the brake pad or the caliper mount?
  14. Thistle Grey

How about a simpler question. It looks to me like I either have to replace the distance piece on the axle, or put a spacer between the disk and hub. (really don't like the sound of that). Has anyone ever done either of those?
  15. Thistle Grey

I am having trouble centering the S1 calipers on the rotors. I am using the original SI axles, with the original distance pieces still in place. I have a set of rebuilt calipers and freshly turned rotors, both from either the SI or SII and have assembled them with the wire wheel hubs from the...