• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by Nick Farrow

1. At Le Mans Classic

At Le Mans Classic

At Le Mans Classic 2008
  2. At Le Mans Classic

At Le Mans Classic

At Le Mans Classic 2008
  3. 1963 Series 3 GT

1963 Series 3 GT

My 1963 Series 3 GT
  4. 1963 Series 3 GT

1963 Series 3 GT

My '63 GT from the rear
  5. Nick Farrow

Gas pedal return spring

Hi guys Is there supposed to be a return spring on the gas pedal, or rather just above it? There's two holes on my car that look like they should have a spring bridging them - one attached to the bulkhead/pedal box and one attached to the gas pedal linkage. I'm changing from twin Strombergs...
  6. Nick Farrow

Battery clamp

Brilliant, thanks for that! I'll keep an eye out on eBay for one but for the time being I'll have to use a more generic clamp. I'd be happy to leave it without a clamp but the MOT rules in the UK have apparently changed since last I had it done and batteries need to be clamped down firmly...
  7. Nick Farrow

Battery clamp

Hmm...interesting. All I have is a battery in a big hole. Sounds like I might have to put in a clamp of my own. Anyone had to do something similar? Cheers Nick
  8. Nick Farrow

Battery clamp

Hi all Can anyone tell me how the battery is supposed to be clamped down in a Series 3 ? At the moment my battery is just in the battery box and can move freely. Cheers Nick
  9. Nick Farrow

Rear axle

What was your reason for removing the diff? Was it because it was noisey? Mine is really quite loud and my intention is to replace it, but it now I'm hoping it could just be that the bolts on the crown wheel are loose. I suppose I'll have to crack it all apart to see!
  10. Nick Farrow

Tappets/Valve clearances on Fastback engine

It's an aluminium head. My valves are particularly noisey at about 3000rpm. Cheers Nick
  11. Nick Farrow

Tappets/Valve clearances on Fastback engine

Hi Guys, My S3 is fitted with a Rapier/Alpine Fastback 1725 engine and the tappets (not sure if that's what you call them in the US!) are awfully noisey. I set up the valve clearances a while ago using the settings for a Series V Alpine. Are the Fastback valve clearances the same? My...
  12. Nick Farrow

Rear axle

I'm sure I read somewhere that an alternative method to the slide hammer is fitting an old spare wheel and hitting it with a hammer until the shaft comes out - that's what I was planning on doing!
  13. Nick Farrow

Rear axle

I'm going to be tackling the same job soon - will a slide hammer attach OK to the wire wheel hubs? Cheers N
  14. Nick Farrow

Steering wheel retaining nut

Did you find out the size of the nut before you went to buy it, or did you take an existing one with you? There's a very good hardware store near me which I'm gonna try tomorrow.
  15. Nick Farrow

Steering wheel retaining nut

Brilliant, thanks Bill! I'll have a go at finding one and if I can't I'll see if one of the UK Alpine supliers has a used one. Cheers Nick