• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Smith's replica gauge set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have asked about these before. I am about to pull the trigger on a set of VDO gauges as they seem to be as close as anything in a modern gauge. I will be eager to hear how these turn out for you.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
That is an insane price for a complete set. If they all work, I am sure many will want to follow in your footsteps.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
They seem to be using the name of another gauge manufacturer (that charges a LOT more for their gauges). And also, their policies on return and ratings seem somewhat suspect... read the who eBay ad.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I ordered mine from a American location. They came in about 2 weeks and look very good. Free shipping too. Look at the description carefully as some have reverse speedometers and Amp gauge instead of Volt. Also Celcius instead of Farenheight on water temp gauge. Exchange rate Indian Rupee=14 cents US!

Last edited:

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
They look great!
I like the fact that you will convert to a Voltmeter and get rid of the amp gauge, much safer IMO.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I picked up this set of gauges off Ebay. Made in India. They appear to be good quality. The tach is mechanical so I plan to use the face on an electric tach or modify a Yblock tach drive distributor to fit the small block Ford V8. The water temp gauge takes a 100-300F sender, The fuel gauge uses a VDO sender. Plan to paint the needles flourescent red.

Smiths Replica Kit- Elec Temp + Oil + Fuel +Volt Gauge+Speedometer +Tacho 100 mm | eBay

I'd love to hear how well the gauges operate once installed and ran. I've seen these Ebay listings since late last year and have wondered if they're a scam or really just one hell of a deal.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, what was the price you paid to the American supplier? I am puzzled and unbelieving the price for all 6 pieces (including shipping!!!!) to be just $44.00. I just paid $18 just to ship 3 oz of electronic components to Australia. Note the 10 min call for technical for$14.95. How can they sell 6 gauges for $44 if their time is "worth" $15 for 10 min??

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Gordon, I agree a voltmeter is better for a couple reasons, but I'm not sure I understand why you think an ammeter is more likely to "burn down the car". Seems it would reduce the odds of a short circuit in the metering circuit due to an insulation cut/failure by 50%, since both wires to the ammeter are live 12V, whereas on a voltmeter only one wire is live 12V, the other is grounded. Of course, you could make sure the voltmeter wire is a very small gauge so that it would act alike a fusible link in event of a short. But there are so many other places in an Alpine where insulation failure in a a high capacity wire would be disastrous, so I don't see the special risk of an ammeter.

Tom

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I payed $40 with free shipping. I have received and inspected the gauges and they appear to be well made. I only buy on Ebay if the feedback is over 95%. I looked back at my order and Autometer inc is the supplier but the new ad says India and has a longer shipping time.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not to change the subject............ BUT, A picture of belmateo's Modified Alpine is on this months (May 2021) calendar. Very nice too!

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
The water temp gauge takes a 100-300F sender, The fuel gauge uses a VDO sender
What water & fuel senders would be needed? or will oem senders be close?
Will the standard Alpine mechanical tach & speedometer cables match the new gauges?
How accurate would the tach be with the distributor cable drive?
How accurate would the speedometer be with standard / OD tyranny's? (original Alpines)

Inquiring minds need to know.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I mention above 100-300 F sender for water temp. Actually 0-300 electric sender. It reads 100-300. VDO 10-180 ohm type sender for fuel. If you have mechanical tach drive the tach is 2 to 1 so should be accurate. the nuts for the cables have to be changed to 18mm x 1.5. Oil pressure is mechanical tube. For speedometer should be accurate as the transmission speedometer gear and tire size determine that.

Amazon.com: Dakota Digital 1/8" NPT Universal Water Temperature Sensor 0-300F SEN-04-5: Industrial & Scientific

Last edited:

loose_electron

Donation Time
Gordon, I agree a voltmeter is better for a couple reasons, but I'm not sure I understand why you think an ammeter is more likely to "burn down the car". Seems it would reduce the odds of a short circuit in the metering circuit due to an insulation cut/failure by 50%, since both wires to the ammeter are live 12V, whereas on a voltmeter only one wire is live 12V, the other is grounded. Of course, you could make sure the voltmeter wire is a very small gauge so that it would act alike a fusible link in event of a short. But there are so many other places in an Alpine where insulation failure in a a high capacity wire would be disastrous, so I don't see the special risk of an ammeter.

Tom
If you want a fuse, put in a fuse. NEVER use a piece of wire as a "fusible link"

And yeah, there's lots out there that suggest the idea, and this EE is telling you to use a fuse instead. A fuse burns open in a closed container, a weak piece of wire melts in an environemnt it can set on fire.

Use a fuse.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Aladin, It doesn't without mods. You need to know the depth of the tank. You can buy that sender in different lengths. Cut a hole and use rivnuts using the gasket as a template. I plan on using a single Mustang tank like Joel (Procraft).

Status
Not open for further replies.