• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Smith's replica gauge set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you want a fuse, put in a fuse. NEVER use a piece of wire as a "fusible link"

And yeah, there's lots out there that suggest the idea, and this EE is telling you to use a fuse instead. A fuse burns open in a closed container, a weak piece of wire melts in an environemnt it can set on fire.

Use a fuse.
A proper fuse link is a wire, having a fireproof cover, which is four gauge sizes smaller than that which it protects. They are mostly size #14, #16, and #18, for protection of wire sizes #10, #12, or #14. Most everything on the road uses them. When they burn out, they look fine, one tests them by pulling on them.

loose_electron

Donation Time
A proper fuse link is a wire, having a fireproof cover, which is four gauge sizes smaller than that which it protects. They are mostly size #14, #16, and #18, for protection of wire sizes #10, #12, or #14. Most everything on the road uses them. When they burn out, they look fine, one tests them by pulling on them.

Use a proper fuse.
Not a wire as a fusable link.

Unless you got 40 plus years in
electronics, aerospace safety
systems and medical device
electronics safety I am not
going to listen to you on this one.

"A wire with a fireproof cover"
Generally has not been used in most DIY situations.
This has been done in places to save
a few pennies on a fuse in commercial products yes.

Use a proper fuse.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jerry, I wish I knew a bit more about electrical stuff. I tend to listen to the experts when they are constant in their advice. Agree about the fuses to the battery and the switch you recommended a year or more ago.

Last edited:

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have been helped by forum members and try to pay it forward, if I can. A team of people with diverse strengths can accomplish much.
Shall we start over?
Shannon

"Unless you got 40 plus years in
going to listen to you on this one."

Last edited:

loose_electron

Donation Time
I have been helped by forum members and try to pay it forward, if I can. A team of people with diverse strengths can accomplish much.
Shall we start over?
Shannon

"Unless you got 40 plus years in
going to listen to you on this one."

I have learned a lot from people on this forum about all sorts of things associated with Sunbeams. In most of those areas I am all questions and want to listen and learn. My strengths are in the electrical world. Fusable links are a cheap way to implement a fuse. When I see DIY people do this they generally don't get the "fireproof cover" part right.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Jerry, I wish I knew a bit more about electrical stuff. I tend to listen to the experts when they are constant in their advice. Agree about the fuses to the battery and the switch you recommended a year or more ago.
Thanks. People have opinions on all things, including me. Having so much drama over the use of a $1 fuse is beyond me.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
I bought a set, but I bought ALL "mechanical". except the voltage and fuel level. seem to be fine. wish I had gotten to "Gold Face" set though.
for the price.....

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Avoid a drama and create a drama, not a real catastrophe, but don't complain about the drama YOU created just to make a point. An apology would be more appropriate than an excuse. If you insist upon an excuse, be good enough to demonstrate how a fusible link is not as safe as a fuse. Not just tell us, but demonstrate.

So yes, I don't have an EE degree and 40 years experience and I'm calling you out.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.