• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Estimated cost to V-6

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Kmathis, If it is an up date I'd be interested. Got your original I think!

Thanks,

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Are you guys including the price of the car and whatever costs to restore it too, (paint, body work, upholstery) rather than just the costs of the V6 conversion?

Jose

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kelly said:
can't seem to find the attachment icon to attach a file

At the top of the reply box (after you click "Post Reply") next to the smiley :) is a paper clip. That's the attach icon.

Tom

coupe

Donation Time
Hey Jose' she runs just great, I'm looking into getting a spare dura spark box.
One of those just incase things, when the napa fuel pump went out on me I want to duplicate some systems.
I find it likes to spool up very quickly I have to watch the tack cause the 4:11 gears will wind her up real fast. Good to hear from you!
Joe

dmich2

Donation Time
I DON'T want to know what I've spent!!! :eek:

I tell everybody that I have an agreement with the wife. I don't ask her what she spends on hair, nails, facials, etc.................she doesn't ask me what I spend on Sweet Pea. :p

Dennis

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I've ridden in one V-6 and I was really impressed with the power and sound, and the handling seemed to be at least as good as stock. A V-6 Alpine is probably the best car on the road, and probably the most undervalued car in existence.

I'm absolutely sure I'll eventually do a conversion, maybe sooner than later.

Guess I should thank everyone that posted here and sent mail. This is a great community. Fun to follow. The best group of people anywhere.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Not to hijack the thread, but could you post how you modified the ranger water pump pulley.

And counting everything so far, I'm into it for about $7900.

Since I feel liberty at having started this thread, I feel it's great when discussions erupt from wherever, who cares. I never see a hijack and always enjoy the discussions.

I wonder if I might modify this thread at this point and ask the same question with a slightly differently, ignoring the cost to V-6 an Alpine, what parts are needed? The parts I see so far without attaching cost are an engine from a Mustang II or 84 85 or 86 ford Bronco, a T-5 transmission (whatever that is-I'd rather have a reliable automatic), modified drive shaft, some sort of bell housing. and what other parts, or is it too many to list? I think Jose will supply you with the headers, motor mounts, modified steering crossover bar and ?, but what other parts are needed? I'm not trying to be retentive, just trying to get an idea of what is needed to V-6. Or is even the duratech a better option, or the rotary?

As always, the help of everyone on this board is right up there with the ninth wonder of the world. And it's not just me. Save a Lot parking lot just today driving "Whitepine" and as I get out after parking this SUV stops behind me and this kid maybe 14 or 15 has the back window all the way down and I hear "That's the car I want Grandma! I slow my decent toward the waiting SUV and zero in on "Grandma" in the drivers seat who asks "My grandson is interested in your car. Who makes it? I reply Sunbeam and she looks perplexed and the kid in the back seat is beaming like I was when I first saw a Sunbeam and I explained to Grandma that it wasn't a new car but was make by and old company that fell victim to the height of Detroit before the downfall and I told her of the gathering at the Columbia Speedway and how it was a very inexpensive car to get into with lots of support and she said she'd check out the internet and I told her of this website and hopefully one cool kid is reading this and considering a Sunbeam as his first car. I didn't get your name, and am too old to relate to you except about this wonderful unique car, but welcome!

TMI...Great people here. The best folks here as there are anywhere. Everyone gets it.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi John,

A while ago, Joe (Coupe) on this forum, asked if it was worth doing the V6 conversion. He came to the conclusion that it was and did it. I´m sure if he reads this, he will tell you how happy he is with his V6 Alpine.

Going with an automatic will be more expensive and it will not have the same performance as a five speed will.

Jose

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, while the Duratec makes a terrific Alpine engine, it is not for most folks. In my opinion, way too many things have to be made or modified to make it fit. So many I've lost track. But then I'm sort of a perfectionist when it comes to making things work. Seems like it can always be made a bit better.

I believe the Miata 1600 deserves serious consideration. Easy installation with the performance of a hot 1725. In truth, probably more than a 1725 as it is a four valve engine. So it should have more low end power. The 1600 cc Miata's weighed 2350 (same as the Alpine) and can do zero-sixty in 8.1 seconds. That would be fun Alpining.

Bill

britbeam

Donation Time
Cost and is it worth it to Modify to a V6

I just looked back over my Build sheets and the final amount I spent on my V6 Mod was 5,480.75 . Is it worth it YES.Totally transformed my Alpine to a true sports car with gusto. Not saying you can't build one faster than mine but Im more than satisfied.This price included everything except the body and interior restoration.(which I accomplished with help of wife and friends)This included practically every upgrade you hear of on this we site.

V6 5speed ,custom driveshaft,Offenhauser Intake,new Holley 4Bl,electronic tac/speedo andf of course the Best item The V6 Jose Kit(impeccable attention to detail)

Is it worth it ? Depends how much of a gear head you are. The journey is even part of it ,the friendships you develop along the way. Also there is more available to make the install easier now than when I did mine 21,000 miles ago.Everytime I drive mine its a car show but when I lift the hood(bonnet) the real gear heads appreciate what has been accomplished.If your wanting to modify in as short a period of time possible the V6 is the way to go and the V6 Jose Kit is worth the money. Its all been designed and proven.I see a lot of post where guys asking what about this engine or that no offense but do you want to build and drive or sit there for months figuring some other exotic way to make it hard to accomplish.
You will enjoy this mod and your Alpine more with the V6.

Rock On see you in the road
Dwain V6 Krazy

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
John, while the Duratec makes a terrific Alpine engine, it is not for most folks. In my opinion, way too many things have to be made or modified to make it fit. So many I've lost track. But then I'm sort of a perfectionist when it comes to making things work. Seems like it can always be made a bit better.

I believe the Miata 1600 deserves serious consideration. Easy installation with the performance of a hot 1725. In truth, probably more than a 1725 as it is a four valve engine. So it should have more low end power. The 1600 cc Miata's weighed 2350 (same as the Alpine) and can do zero-sixty in 8.1 seconds. That would be fun Alpining.

Bill

Also remember the Miata 1.6 has pretty good aftermarket support. I bet if you add a low boost turbo it would be a real blast.

gordonra

Donation Time
Excuse me..... Did anyone here mention a hack job Duratec?

THE TOPIC IS COST OF V6 CONVERSION.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Excuse me..... Did anyone here mention a hack job Duratec?

THE TOPIC IS COST OF V6 CONVERSION.

Perhaps someone needs to learn the read all of the posts before spouting off. The "hack job Duratec" (didn't know you had even seen it) was mentioned in response to this by John W, the originator of the thread.

"I'm not trying to be retentive, just trying to get an idea of what is needed to V-6. Or is even the duratech a better option, or the rotary?"

May I ask, what the hell is bugging you?

Bill

bashby

Donation Time
The Nissan engine and transmission that I swapped into my SV cost a LOT more, a junkyard motor and trans was $1200, rebuild the 5-speed $900, new turbo $800, engine rebuild parts $5k and it goes on and on...Not saying that I would not do it again:) it is simply too much fun to drive. That being said, the V-6 conversion by Jose, is significantly more inexpensive and an easier way to go IMHO. That is not to say that the Duratec would not be as fun , inexpensive or easy way to go also. Just commenting that the V6 conversion is an easier and less expensive (guessing here as I do not know the effort or $ involved with the Duratec) conversion to do. I do not mean to demean any work that Bill or others have done.

Last edited:

gordonra

Donation Time
Perhaps someone needs to learn the read all of the posts before spouting off. The "hack job Duratec" (didn't know you had even seen it) was mentioned in response to this by John W, the originator of the thread.

"I'm not trying to be retentive, just trying to get an idea of what is needed to V-6. Or is even the duratech a better option, or the rotary?"

May I ask, what the hell is bugging you?

Bill

I'm sorry Bill, I do need to appologize for my comment.

However to answer your question sincerely, I find it irritatingly humorous that whenever people talk about the V6, you express your opinions freely (usually in a negative tone) and yet you admit that have no first hand information about it. Your signature is even targeted against the V6 conversion.

I honestly appreciate that you and others are willing and eager to try new conversions. That is not the point. My comment about "hack job" refers to the cutting you've done (hacking) the front crossmember, and the fabrication techniques you have shared on th is forum.

When/if the day comes when you build up a V6, and you see for yourself how well it performs, and how little putzing needs to be done, then I figure you may have something of meaning to contribute to the conversation. I seriously doubt that will happen because you seem to be more in it to try new things than actually spend time driving your car.

To avoid turning this thread into another bashing contest, I'll just block all of your posts and be done with it.

I hope this helps your understanding of what is bugging me.

Good day!

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Guys

Can't you all play nice? Cost is relative on which source you use. One of my junkyard friends only goes on Tuesday to buy as it is 1/2 price day.