• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sometimes it's better. . .

64beam

Donation Time
I think this one is for parts only :( . Looking at the wreck, I don't think the driver faired too well either.

alpine_64

Donation Time

Im quite sure this was on ebay over 12 months ago, they probably want to much for it.. in many ways they would be better off selling it as parts.. split the car up.. and report the ID to the regisrty as destroyed... but as well all know.. these cars go off the radar then appear restored at a later date.. whats the bet that a SV alpine is just waiting for its donor transmission tunnel and ID tags.. you find these projects often dissapear offshore (from uSA) where people can "restore" the cars away from TAC.. hence why these listings always keep the ID's secret.

65beam

Donation Time
sometimes

guys,
this car is restorable. clamp it down to the frame rack, pull and it would be ok. if you look at the bulkhead and the front hinge panel, they don't appear to be bent. several years ago we bought a car from california that looked to be a nice body. after we got the car to tiger auto and got it back to bare metal we found that it had been hit hard. there was a new right front fender on the car plus some other panels had required a lot of work. whoever had fixed the car put the fender on without doing work to the bent frame rails. the chassis was bent to the point that they enlongated the holes in the front crossmember so it could be bolted on. a few hours on his frame rack with the front sheet metal loose and the measurements on the chassis are probably closer than when it left the factory.he restored a tiger that had rearended a vehicle and then got hit by the vehicle behind it. used the same body and the car continues to be driven. anything is repairable. it's just that there are only a few shops with enough knowledge of tiger or alpine bodies that could do the repairs so it 's not cheap.

agmason

Donation Time
"this car is restorable. clamp it down to the frame rack, pull and it would be ok."

Ok for what? The frame is bent into a U shape which means both doors are not in alignment even though you don't see the other side. To repair correctly the body shop would have to dismantle and drill out all spot welds to try to fix it correctly. Then straighten each individual piece of the car and weld back together. The cost would be very high, probably $40,000+. I had two quotes to restore my Tiger without serious body damage and one started at $20,000 and the other $30,000. Both were minimum costs and would increase depending on what was needed.

Yes, you can try to twist it back but the structure would still be weak with creases from the original bend. I wouldn't want to buy it without full disclosure of the prior damage.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Bent frame

This car might be good for circle track racing with the frame as is!

I agree this is a parts car but it is already too expensive for the remaining parts.

And to the fellow who said he has straightened a few after accidents, please post the vin numbers so we can be aware of those cars--just kidding.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
it's better

dude,
if you go to my photo bucket site, http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt142/65beam/ you'll see photos of what it takes to restore a series 4. i posted maybe a dozen photos taken last monday and today. photo #12 i think will show the car today with the spot welds drilled that released the left fender from the inner panels. it also shows the center panel cut loose and the hinge panel with the spot welds drilled and also the radiator support. some other photos show it on the other side of the shop with the front valance upper panel in place. it also shows the car on it's side prior to any of this work. my body man likes to reweld all the seams under the car plus weld a lot more to strengthen the car. he forgets that this is an alpine and not the tiger on the cart to it's its right. he moved it monday to pull and move a few things. the left fender and rail need moved upward to match the hood we're using and to get the gaps right. you'll also notice that somewhere in being moved around at either the dipper or being transpoted back to dayton that there was a bunch of dents in the upper fender on the right side behind the door. he always removes the inner fender panels over both rear wheels in order to get the fenders right, but it was going to be hard to work these dents as bad as they were, so we decided to replace a lot of the rear fender. there were a few old dents around the tail light so you can see what we're replacing. we also replaced the lower right front fender section since it had several dents. i was able to find a martel panel to use for this repair. he's close to having the left fender and rail up to where he wants it. he's also removed all the panels ,etc for the top boot doors and is moving them up so that when the top is down, the boot doors will be level with the body. if you look at many series 4 or MK1 tigers,you'll find the doors set below the body just a tiny bit. he has already restored the seat frames using three frames to make two that suit him. the entire interior is done and waiting for the body. he also has dipped and restored a front cross member i bought from sunbeam 65. he pulled the rear hubs last monday and i took the housing to the dipper. one of the little things i never would have thought of was the bracket that the door limiting strap fastens to on the drivers door. that's the reason the left door is off again. it had some wear to the hole,so he put a new bracket in. i guess my point is that i'm well aware of what it takes to restore a sunbeam to a high standard. this is not the first car he has done for us. i can't wait to get this car back. every piece of stainless is polished, all of the chrome replated and the aluminum polished. just waiting for the exhaust to come back from jet hot. the wife told him to do some things to this car that he didn't do to her car a few years back. there are some photos of her alpine on our site also.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
It seems the seller knows just enough to say it's a real tiger but he doesn't have the guts to supply a vin number. I think he's banking on somebody buying the pile of metal for the purpose of using the vin and JAL tag and making another fake tiger. Another thing it states it has a PA salvage title. Was the car operational and on the road under the salvage title when it crashed or was it titled after the crash when it was sold. You can get a PA title for a non road worthy car. So, has the car suffered two crash incidents and be a two time big totalled loser? I well understand how enough money can bring any car back from the dead and this one qualifies as the type of car the owner can state... yeah I have a restored sunbeam tiger worth about 60 grand that only cost me 150 thousand to have it done. Maybe it's my past work as a PA certified inspection mechanic that makes me feel so strong about tags and original rivets on these cars to conclude that this is the only reason this car is being offered for sale. Some cars are just meant to die. Jeff

64beam

Donation Time
It seems the seller knows just enough to say it's a real tiger but he doesn't have the guts to supply a vin number. I think he's banking on somebody buying the pile of metal for the purpose of using the vin and JAL tag and making another fake tiger. Another thing it states it has a PA salvage title. Was the car operational and on the road under the salvage title when it crashed or was it titled after the crash when it was sold. You can get a PA title for a non road worthy car. So, has the car suffered two crash incidents and be a two time big totalled loser? I well understand how enough money can bring any car back from the dead and this one qualifies as the type of car the owner can state... yeah I have a restored sunbeam tiger worth about 60 grand that only cost me 150 thousand to have it done. Maybe it's my past work as a PA certified inspection mechanic that makes me feel so strong about tags and original rivets on these cars to conclude that this is the only reason this car is being offered for sale. Some cars are just meant to die. Jeff

I think that is the only logical conclusion if the seller cannot or will not supply the ID tags. This is where a previous owner could help immensely with a situation like this and stop some poor unsuspecting buyer picking up a fake. So does anyone in the Tiger/Alpine community know of this car's history prior to it being damaged?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Its not that the owner of this car wont supply the ID tags, its they will not disclose the numbers during the sale so that whoever purchases the car can alger it in peace and quiet and people wont be clued up as to what numbers that car came off.

There is another thing that can happen which is people will swap the ID tags off a rusted or wrecked tiger and put them on a stolen car or one without tages.. which is just as illegal. I know this has happneed and am quite sure is still happening

65beam

Donation Time
it's better

michael,
it's not illegal to rebody a car. as far as making this car an alger as you call it, there are body men capable enough to rebody a tiger and be able to get a tac sticker. there are also alpines and harringtons that have been rebodied. do you believe that this car should just be junked and be written off since none of the tiger experts that complain and think it is wrong to rebody are also the same people that can not tell anyone how to repair the cars due to rust or collision. i know that i would not hesitate to do what is needed to put this car on the road. i also would not hesitate to use tiger body panels on an alpine. OH! i'm doing that right now. ??????????

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bob,

My issue is with people taking the Vin's and Jals off tigers and putting them onto an alpine body then welding in the trans tunnel etc and passing it off as a tiger and seeking financial gain out of it. I have no issues with algers if they are disclosed for what they are. My issue is with the dishonesty that goes with the teritory.

I bought my TAC'd tiger from the states in late 2006, the guy i bought it off has a race prepared MKI. He sold the MKIA to me after restoring it because he used to use it for track days pre restoration, but then he got the race car so no longer need it for those thrills. As the car was looking tired he did a full restoration on it and did a very nice job, however as he said to me, he then was not enjoying it as much as he was being to precious about it.

After selling it he bought a chevelle SS so he could take the family to events, then he built an alger. You may have seen the car it was recently mentioned (thought not photographed) in the TEAE newsletter. he did the alger as he could modify it as he pleased and nobody will hastle him, he has alpine badges on it and does not claim it to be anything other than a bunch of tiger parts in an alpine.. he is being honest, he is having a blast.. he is not trying to pass the car off as something it is not.

I have no issue with you using tiger panels to fix an alpine, using alpine doors, clip etc to fix a tiger.. what becomes a problem us when you try and pass something off as somethign it is not. If you understand the TAC process you can have a heavily restored tiger, modified tiger etc that will pass.. they are lloking for signs of rootes methodology that made a tiger body which rebodys dont have,, that is where a alpine thats had tiger parts welded in shows up.

My last example is reffering to placing 1 cars ID on another. The case i sighted is something happening in my state at the moment. Someone has imported a tagless tiger shell using alpine VIN tags and is then taking the VIN and JAL off a rusted Tiger project car they had and swapping them over.... now i know the orignial VIN of the "john doe" car.. quesiton is. where are those tags being used now? If people arent open about what they do it allows fraud.. plain and simple. I love all sunebams, hope they can all be saved.. but they should be saved to be enjoyed.. not to defraud people. It sthe same as trying to sell a normal mustang thats been hoped up as a GT350 etc.. the replica can be as much fun (even more fun becauise you can modify without fear of flack) but it is not an original car.. so shouild not be passed off as such for financial gain.

agmason

Donation Time
"it's not illegal to rebody a car. as far as making this car an alger as you call it, there are body men capable enough to rebody a tiger and be able to get a tac sticker."

In which state is it legal to switch VIN plates to other cars? Has an Alpine reconstituted onto a Tiger ever passed a TAC inspection? I think not.

Yeah, I converted a Harrington Lemans into a Tiger a while back. I just didn't like the look of the Harrington.

65beam

Donation Time
it's better

michael and dude,
you can switch tags legally here in ohio and other states. it's not a big deal. if you remember there have been bodies available for several brit cars for years plus they're now available for muscle cars. and dude, i'll bet there are converted cars that have received a tac sticker. and by the way there was only one tiger converted by harrington. i wonder whatever happened to harry? i guess if all the cars are worth to you michael is the financial investment, then you'll move your cars at a later date. i've seen that happen before. what car do you plan to collect next? of course this is a subject that we could argue about for years to come. i just don't agree with the idea that if a body isn't repairable it should be scrapped. send all of those cars to me. it all goes back to the fact that all tigers started out as an alpine body with the bulkhead cut to take the tiger tunnel, some different inner fender braces, the X frame cut for the exhaust,some different brackets here and there, some holes drilled, a modified cross member and a different rearend, etc. i must say that jenson workers did some real sloppy welding. that's my two cents again.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bob,

im sure you would know that my cars are not investments.. if anything they are huge loss making efforts for me.. but i do it for a hobby and my own personal torture/enjoyment. I have bought all my cars, i have bought them myself and I havent bought them when they were a cheap unloved oddball.. they have been serious acquisitions for me that I have forsaken more important and estute things i should have spent money on.

What i am talking about and what YOU DONT SEEM TO GET is people are CHANGING ID TAGS TO MAKE MONEY. they are not rebodying these cars because they like the idea of a sunbeam with a V8 they are doing it to sell to someone as a factrory Tiger. plain and simple fraud.

As per my shelby example, its easy to spec up a mustang to GT350 spec or beyond and i have no issue with doing that.. but if you then tell people its a real GT350.. or if you took the ID off a GT350 and put it on a modified mustang.. then you are comminting a crime when you tell people it was afactory GT350. I am sure in your state if you rebody there is paperwork you give the authorities so theu know what has happened.. long and the short of it.. you seem to miss the point, this is not being done for enjoyment.. its done to decieve and make profit.

Why would someone sell VIN and JAL tags stuck to a scuttle as on ebay 2 weeks back for any other reason other than deception? Why would these people not have the VIN and JAL on the ebay auction of rusted or wrecked cars? its because they know the value for them is in someone making a clone.

If you dont get that.. well not much point in us talking about it more.. you have your opinion on the subject i have mine. I dont like being decieved.. maybe you dont mind. I would happily buy an alger if it was disclosed as such.. i just wouldnt pay as much as a factory tiger and i wouldnt have Tiger badges on it.. id happily put alpine ones on.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Alpine_64, what's the minimum amount of body parts that hard-core Shelbyists consider to be a legitimate Shelby?

At least one car has been TAC'd as a "Tiger" that consisted of no more than scuttle, firewall and tunnel. If that VIN shows up in the near future with a new cacoon of Alpine sheet metal, would you consider it deceptive if that was sold as a "Tiger"?

65beam

Donation Time
sometimes it's better

rootes rooter,
your question is one that the tiger experts can not answer.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
This is one of the old stories that just keep being reborn every once in a while
A few would be Tiger owners have been taken to the cleaner.There was one on Ebay recently and he made no bones about it and clearly stated it was an Alger.It was a real nice car and went for 22,500.I think he could have gotten more if he was dishonest about it as it sure looked good and proper.
I do have the knowledge to do a number swap.Also its relatively easy to make a tunnel and firewall as per Tiger.Saying that does not mean I would.I had my 1966 REAL tiger for years.I originally went over it all.It was completley stock but I did modify it by adding a 5 speed transmission.
I'm a great fan of Algers as they are just as great and in some cases even better than an original Tiger.
On the Lister clone I do indeed have thge Tiger emblem but have never passed it off as anything but an Alpine
The 62 although it started as V6 conversion in 1979 it does now have a 302for the last few years.It is badged as an Alpine with the Sunbeam V8 badge below

I still love stock but then I like to admire the work and dedication in all be it stock or modified.I of course am so far from stock I don't think I will ever own another stock Sunbeam.Of course there still is the series 3 that is completely stock that was passed on to my son some many years a go

alpine_64

Donation Time
Alpine_64, what's the minimum amount of body parts that hard-core Shelbyists consider to be a legitimate Shelby?

At least one car has been TAC'd as a "Tiger" that consisted of no more than scuttle, firewall and tunnel. If that VIN shows up in the near future with a new cacoon of Alpine sheet metal, would you consider it deceptive if that was sold as a "Tiger"?

Rootes Rooter, im not sure exactly what shelby people consider enough to make a car original.. im assuming that it once again comes down to the body. With any car that was converted when new (tiger, GT250, etc) it becomes harder later in life when they have rusted out restored etc to know what they were originally.

A good example is that some AC Aces have been converted to Cobras.. now in theory thats what shelby did, these owners change the steering to MKII spec, mod the tunnel and arches and install the ford driveline.. its no question an AC... but if we are being honest its not an original cobra. I feel sad when such a nice original car is cut up for that.. but its the owners choice.. what i have an issue with is if they then try and pass them off as original cobras.

Another comon conversion on cars is the cuttting up of 250Gt ferraris to make 250SWB and 250GTO replicas. Now thats essentially what the factory did, and given the very limited numbers of the cars and the value of them (8million +) making a conversion will be the only way people can accsess such a car. However, some people have spent much time in the case of 250SWB's (the more comon of the 2 aforementioned) to make them tool room copies and have then tried to pass them on as real.. now the car is almost indistinguishable from an original 250SWB its main parts, chassis, driveline instruments are all ferrari.. but its not an original 250SWB so why would you claim its original other than to sell your 1milliion car for several.. they are not saying here is a stunning frerrai converted to SWB spec they are trying to defraud people.

With regards to your Tiger question. I think i know the car you reffer to, it was nothing but leftovers of a shell. There is a car here downunder, which may be the car you reffer to. It has the inner guards and firewall but the whole internal monoque is removed. You just see the X brace , no rear parcel shelf, floors, tunnel etc.. is gutted.. and yes the car has been TAC'd, i have seen the stoicker on it. Its also had engine mounts put in the centre of the X so one can assume they were going to make a dragster? Now, as to when it no longer becomes a Tiger.. I guess that will depend on what happens to it and how it is restored. When the car was inspected there was enough evidence to show that what is there was a factory car, now you can probably restore that car and have it reinspected and it will again pass (PS.. if the cars have been hevaily restored after TAC they require reinspection to keep their certification) The interesting thing with that car is.. will the owner spend the large amount of time and money fixing the X brace on the car, the heavily rusted metal etc.. or will they find a nice alpine and put all those parts into it?

There is no issue with doing replicas, conversions, tributes.. in the art world, car world, boat world or plane world.. the problem arises when the history of the object in question is presented as something else in an attempt to decieve for financial gain.

If you have done a conversion why wouldnt you say so unless you are trying to gain from it?

Mike Shiner (sp?) on this site has been building a conversion and is open and honest about it. He should be applauded for it. He is doing it to make a car HE can enjoy, not to try and sell to someone else, and in the event he was to sell it I am sure he would proudly talk of the work he put into making the car as opposed to implying other things.

65beam

Donation Time
it's better

michael,
have you ever seen a tiger or alpine body in the buff? the X frame is welded at the four cornersand the front frame rails and has a few sloppy welds to the floor panel. go to my photobucket site and you will see the bottom of a bare metal car. i know it can be repaired or replaced. i've seen it done. when the car is in a rack like the one my car is in, X frame work is not that difficult. the body doesn't move. if repaired and body panels replaced would it still be a tiger? it has a tac certificate so yes or no?