• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Zenith Stromberg 150CD need carburetor float!

PINECAT

Donation Time
Help!

Have looked all over the country trying to find a float for the front carburetor on Series V stromberg. The existing plastic float is damaged and "not repairable" per the carburetor rebuilding shop. Anyone have some carburetor parts for this model?

Would be lots of help....

Thanks for any advice!!!

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Help!

Have looked all over the country trying to find a float for the front carburetor on Series V stromberg. The existing plastic float is damaged and "not repairable" per the carburetor rebuilding shop. Anyone have some carburetor parts for this model?

Would be lots of help....

Thanks for any advice!!!

I may have some parts Strombergs on the shelf, pm me if you strike out and I'll check.

PINECAT

Donation Time
Item--i-515721

Thank you for your responses people! Having a rough time here since it isn't the later model symmetrical float, (Differs from B19470 which is symmetrical) its this one, in the picture at the link below! (Site that I posted image from says "no longer available")

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-515721

Last edited:

PINECAT

Donation Time
You know, I thought the same thing and a vendor suggested it too. The carb shop says they won't fit and a Stromberg carb expert told me that the float (B19470) would have to be cut off and re-riveted in order to work and may fail on the adjustment. The Carburetor shop wasn't really into that idea but thank you for your thoughts and problem solving insight.

I read the part on the bottom of the float page also, reading "Float suitable for all CD applications apart from Early 150 CD" -- yet I looked closer and found that their float appears to fit for a GT6 MKII Triumph, but not a GT6 MK1 (which I have been led to believe are either identical, or very close to the Sunbeam one). So, looks like my best bet is that someone here has a decent used float! :)
Apparently this is a bit of a rare birdie.

Thank you!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
You should check with Gower Lee to see if they have a direct replacement float.

You may still find someone on the forum with the part you need.

Mike

hkswartz

Donation Time
You know, I thought the same thing and a vendor suggested it too. The carb shop says they won't fit and a Stromberg carb expert told me that the float (B19470) would have to be cut off and re-riveted in order to work and may fail on the adjustment. The Carburetor shop wasn't really into that idea but thank you for your thoughts and problem solving insight.

I read the part on the bottom of the float page also, reading "Float suitable for all CD applications apart from Early 150 CD" -- yet I looked closer and found that their float appears to fit for a GT6 MKII Triumph, but not a GT6 MK1 (which I have been led to believe are either identical, or very close to the Sunbeam one). So, looks like my best bet is that someone here has a decent used float! :)
Apparently this is a bit of a rare birdie.

Thank you!

I know this is an old thread, but my mechanic has run into this same problem w/ my '67 Alpine Series 5 & I'm wondering if you ever came up with a solution or a source for a used/original float.

hkswartz

Donation Time
Have you checked Classic Sunbeam? They list the CD150 float on their web site: https://classicsunbeam.com/Stromberg-150-Float-Alpine-5-ST109.htm

Mike
Yes. According to my mechanic, the part listed on Classic Sunbeam is what he used & actually a Triumph Spitfire float that he had to significantly modify to work for the '67 Alpine. He expressed when he did the work that he wasn't very comfortable with the modification, but we gave it a try. It doesn't seem to be working properly, so I was wondering if I could find any alternatives here.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Did you call Curt and ask him if that float is not an actual CD150 float? Are you sure you have CD150 carbs?

Mike

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Yes. According to my mechanic, the part listed on Classic Sunbeam is what he used & actually a Triumph Spitfire float that he had to significantly modify to work for the '67 Alpine. He expressed when he did the work that he wasn't very comfortable with the modification, but we gave it a try. It doesn't seem to be working properly, so I was wondering if I could find any alternatives here.
I just got this from Curt at Classic Sunbeam:
"The floats are for 150CD Stombergs, the only modification that is needed is one tab must be trimmed off. Work on my Alpine V. Currently no other source."

hkswartz

Donation Time
Thank you all! I definitely have the CD150 carbs as my parents were the original owners & they were never replaced. My mechanic is speculating the modified floats might be the culprit, but he won't know until he's able to take a look himself. However, it's not the only possibility. I was just trying to see if anyone else had found a different solution or source for the floats other than the modification. But, it sounds like it's a pretty common fix. Thank you! What an amazing community (support group ;))!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Maybe start a new thread and detail the issues / symptoms that are being encountered and I'm sure you will receive many ideas for what to check.

Mike