• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Zenith conundrum

snamelc

Donation Time
I've had my Zeniths on my Series II rebuilt twice this summer and the car wouldn't run either time. I finally determined that I had an assemblage of two different carbs, one with an idle screw below the throttle plate and the other with an idle screw on the cover. Flow passages for air and fuel are slightly different for the two configurations. Further complicating this is the fact that both builders used kits containing short float needles that caused flooding of the float chamber. Shimming of the float valve would have left too few threads of engagement so I screwed a shim to the float tab instead. This worked well to control the fuel level but a more permanent solution would be to solder on a brass shim of the same thickness. As to the two-idle-screw problem, I screwed the top one all the way in tight and used the bottom one to adjust idle. Blue is now running fine. I hope this helps anyone else coming across the same problem.