• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Zenith Carbs

jfcroni

Donation Time
Stromberg CD Carbs

One of the things I noticed with the carbs (professionally rebuilt) is the piston in one of the carbs lags way behind the other. Diaphram???

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
You are referring to the Z-Stromberg 150cd's I assume not the series 1-3 zenith WI series downdraft carbs?

mikephillips

Donation Time
The pistons rise and fall as the car runs based on the partial difference in air pressure from front to back. If the pistons both fall at or nearly at the same rate when manually pushed up and released and the car not running then any difference is most likely a slight difference in how they're setup. If they fall at different rates when not running then I can think of a few things to check. One is that the needle on one carb could be bent slightly or the jet not centered, both resulting in the two catching against each other. Another is that the center damper of one could be dry or loose causing the sleeves in the piston and cap to not slide against each other smoothly. And finally, could have a small defect in one of the rubber diaphragms that connect the piston to the carb dome allowing an air leak.

jfcroni

Donation Time
Carbs

Thanks Guys - These carbs were professionally rebuilt and were returned looking brand new. So, seeing the issue, I pulled the dampers and tops off both carbs today. I checked the diaphragms and the locating lug on the rubber... One was not located correctly. So I pulled the inner ring and found neither were properly aligned to the lug. So, all is good in carb work today... Both pistons raise and lower evenly. An "F" for the rebuilder though...

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Are you willing to post the name of your rebuilder? I have encountered issues with my rebuilt carbs, too, but I don't think I have sorted all of them out yet. So I am holding back any negative opinions until I get all the issues sorted. Just wondering if it is the same person...

Mike

jfcroni

Donation Time
Are you willing to post the name of your rebuilder? I have encountered issues with my rebuilt carbs, too, but I don't think I have sorted all of them out yet. So I am holding back any negative opinions until I get all the issues sorted. Just wondering if it is the same person...

Mike

Hi Mike - First, thanks for your web site. I've been referring to it often while on this mission to bring back my Alpine.

The carb rebuilder was in New York. It was years ago... really can't remember their name... but the also do brass sleeving in MC and slaves.

The carbs came back looking beautiful... but they were never used until last week.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
A different carb rebuilder than the one I used then.

I am glad you are finding the web site useful. Thanks for the feedback.

Mike