• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Zenith carbs

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Just wondering if anyone has a solution with the WIA carb, to stop the accelerator pump piston binding in the carb body.

I have one which sticks at the bottom of the pump bore when fully depressed, I have tried polishing/honing both piston and bore without success.

Swapped pistons between carbs and the problem is with the bore in one carb; both pistons move freely in the other carb, I`m at whits end !!

alpine_64

Donation Time
Just wondering if anyone has a solution with the WIA carb, to stop the accelerator pump piston binding in the carb body.

I have one which sticks at the bottom of the pump bore when fully depressed, I have tried polishing/honing both piston and bore without success.

Swapped pistons between carbs and the problem is with the bore in one carb; both pistons move freely in the other carb, I`m at whits end !!

Smartar$e response is to ditch the zeniths and go a DD weber or strombergs...

you have WIA carbs.. is this on a S3 with the batwing filter? or a S3 GT? DO you by chance have a set of WIP's handy? I'm not 100% sure how to solve your issue above what you have tried. If its in the body of the carb and you have polished the area/honed it.. that hsuld have worked. Perhaps you should strip them down and do a full rebuild.. perhaps something else is causing it to stick? Otherwise try and get a replacemtn body.. there is a place in melbourne that would have a lot of sets of Zeniths if you needed to find donors.

RootesRacer

Donation Time

The stick if the running clearances are wrong or if the bore or piston has burrs or schmutz on it.

Take some scrotchbrite and clean the bores and to the same to the piston.
If the piston runs tight but free dry, it will probably run even better with the fuel in place.

WIA and WIP carbs are the best IMO.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
The stick if the running clearances are wrong or if the bore or piston has burrs or schmutz on it.

Take some scrotchbrite and clean the bores and to the same to the piston.
If the piston runs tight but free dry, it will probably run even better with the fuel in place.

WIA and WIP carbs are the best IMO.

Yeah I would like to persist with them, however I now fear I may have honed too much and perhaps the piston cocks over to one side then jams. Any idea what the piston / bore operating clearance should be?

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Smartar$e response is to ditch the zeniths and go a DD weber or strombergs...

you have WIA carbs.. is this on a S3 with the batwing filter? or a S3 GT? DO you by chance have a set of WIP's handy? I'm not 100% sure how to solve your issue above what you have tried. If its in the body of the carb and you have polished the area/honed it.. that hsuld have worked. Perhaps you should strip them down and do a full rebuild.. perhaps something else is causing it to stick? Otherwise try and get a replacemtn body.. there is a place in melbourne that would have a lot of sets of Zeniths if you needed to find donors.

Not sure what they are off, they were on a grotty old engine I bought. Sorry cant help with the WIP`s; would be interested if you can supply details on the Melbourne contact.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Not sure what they are off, they were on a grotty old engine I bought. Sorry cant help with the WIP`s; would be interested if you can supply details on the Melbourne contact.

the parts used to be at pickards in melourne, but i believe that many of the sunbeam parts were bought by a vanguard supplier. He goes by the usernake of "vanguardwholesaler" on ebay.. maybe contact him via that.. but i will try and get the direct contact deatils for you. They should have several sets of the SI and SII zenith carbs.