• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Zenith Carb linkage

wframe

Donation Time
Can anyone tell me if this is the "stock" linkage for the Zenith carbs on a Series II? And if it is, is there anyplace to get the disk/ring that connects the the two yokes? Or is this something that I would have to manufacture myself? Mine is working but has a crack in it so it is going to fail sometime soon.

Thanks!

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Can anyone tell me if this is the "stock" linkage for the Zenith carbs on a Series II? And if it is, is there anyplace to get the disk/ring that connects the the two yokes? Or is this something that I would have to manufacture myself? Mine is working but has a crack in it so it is going to fail sometime soon.

Thanks!

Its a bit beat up, but yes thats a stock link.

wframe

Donation Time
Does anyone know of replacement parts for the linkage? Specifically, I am looking for the disk/ring that connects the two yokes. Or is this something I should just fabricate myself?

wframe

Donation Time
I guess I haven't figured out the function of that double yoke/disk connection between the two carbs. Both carbs are bolted securely to the intake manifold so there is no flex between them; the disk does not allow for any difference in the rotation speed of the 2 carbs; so why does the disk need to be spring steel? Is it the fact that it needs to be very thin that requires it to be spring steel for the extra strength? Or is it that the 2 carb shafts do not always line up exactly and the spring steel allows for this out-of-alignment?

I was thinking I could use a fender washer of the same outside diameter, drill out the center to the size needed to clear the nut on the front carb shaft, and then drill holes for the for bolts connecting the 2 yokes.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
wframe,

Or is it that the 2 carb shafts do not always line up exactly and the spring steel allows for this out-of-alignment?

You got it. The spring acts like a universal joint to accommodate axial misalignment of each carb shaft. Without that little bit of give, the carb bases would wear much faster. Base wear is already a significant factor without making it worse by choice.

wframe

Donation Time
Don,
Thanks for the insight. That does make a lot of sense! I'll have to talk to one of the guys in the manufacturing area where I work to see if they can help me with making the disk.

BTW: I really like your tag line about political correctness; truer words were never spoken