• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

wrist pins and valve spring retainers

ruedikuhn

Donation Time
hi guys
i am rebuilding my 1725 engine. i wanted to get lighter wrist pins and also lighter spring retainers. i am using isky 625/626 springs. wrist pins are stock size. would anybody know where i can get any if them.
thanks Ruedi

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Some of the older race cars I have come across simply had the lower part of the valve retainer cut off (so no seal on the retainer). Then they would use a Perfect Circle oil seal which sat on the valve guide. This saved a bit of weight on the valve train.

Of course, there was the complete valve train setup that was being offered on Ebay not too long ago. (the shop that was also selling the roller rockers, too)

Peaco offers retainers too.... http://www.paeco.com/Valve Train Equipment.htm
Can't say I have heard anything positive about them but they have been around for a while.

I am not sure if there is an off the shelf lighter wrist pin to replace the Alpine wrist pins. IF you needed new pistons go with Venolia and use the Chevy pistons pins/rods. You will save a lot of weight.

Steve

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
You be better off to have the stock pins machined thinner at a tool & die shop. There are no off the shelf, common pins because the diameter is a bastard size.
Jan

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Machine some from titanium. They would lighten the wallet as well but would be cool.

Much easier to buy titanium for another application and modify as needed.

I dont recall what application I used for mine (perhaps Datsun 510), but it used
an 8mm stem and the spring OD was compatible.

The tops of the keepers (AKA spring retainers) interfered with the rockers, but it was easy modify for this in a lathe.

Stock keepers are VERY heavy, as are the springs.

Jim E

Donation Time
I once used aftermarket Toyota retainers, but that was with different springs and Datsun valves.