• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

wrench

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
:D another wrench to adjust heads after break in without removing rockers
I hope I get this loaded if not PM me I'll send picture its used on airplanes

Attachments

• wrench.jpg
    wrench.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
churchill wrench

wrench listed in special tools

Attachments

• churchhill wrench.jpg
    churchhill wrench.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 43

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looks like....?

Stephen, The wrench reminds me of a couple I have that work great on Ford/Chevy distributor adjustments.

USAF surplus stuff ?

DanR

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
The off set horseshoe attachment for the 3/8 drive works excellent.I have had mine for a lifetime it seems. Worked good for the head bolts as well as the distributor and the occasional off set bolt.

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
yes George Coleman told me that but the 12 point on box end got it spot on for me, better then crowsfoot or horseshoe attachment on bolts to the right and left of center oil pipe. I could not get a clean turn and true reading with crowsfoot

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rootes, Your question caused me to wondered about that too!

But, relating to my USAF experience the same (look-a-like) tools were utilized for torqueing various components on our aircraft. If a flex was possible I'm sure it would have had to be documented in the Tech manuals somewhere.

Any of you prior military mechanics knowledgeable of the probability of flex?

A close look at the tools in question (with military specs) will prove they are very rigid. In my experience I never saw one broken of twisted.

Last edited:

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
I asked they said they do 60 foot pounds, worked fine for me if you can see its even ground off around the edge Churchhill wrench seem much stronger

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Regarding affect of flex on torque, if you think thru the physics involved you will see that it would ultimately have no effect - except that it will surely take a few more degrees of turn on the wrench to achieve the desired torque. And the "sponge-iness" of the arrangement will make it a bit more difficult to get to the proper torque point. But once the torque wrench gets to the 45 Ft -lbs (or whatever) the torque transmitted to the bolt will be the same. There is no way for torque to be "lost". Unless, of course, the bent wrench is too weak and will not handle the applied torque and simply twists out of shape.

Note that both wrenches shown here have both ends in line with each other, meaning that there is no gain or loss of "feet" in the Foot-pounds equation. Some similar wrenches, like a crow foot wrench, do add a little additional length to the torque lever and do require appropriate reduction in the indicated torque to achieve the desired torque.

Tom

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks Tom
It worked great, so a crows foot at 45 foot pounds might be 46
So it safe then to say if using a crowsfoot on bolts under rockers you should use it on all 10 bolts?