• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wrapping Rear Leaf Springs

bkasl

Bronze Level Sponsor
A recent Sunbeam video from the UK made reference to greasing the layers on the leaf springs then wrapping them with a tight flexible tape for added ride comfort and less noise.
Anybody tried this on Alpine or other classic?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Powder coating each blade works way better , doesn't create a greasy mess and avoids any nasty spring noises, because of it's self lubricating characteristics. If you prefer to go old school, however...

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Powder coat works great, one day I will do my series 2 springs. I wish I did not have to remove the fuel tank to do it. I did my car trailer and it rides smooth and quiet, actually I powder coated my entire trailer.
RIMG0644-XL.jpg

IMG_3962-X2.jpg

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Exactly. Did powder coat the rear springs on my S1 during restauration 30 years before and they still look great other than collecting some dust which can be easily wiped off. Actually did the front coils too and also works there as well...

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
It is always interesting to read when people take different approaches to shared problems. I have had lots of parts powder coated but never the leaves of the springs. Oiling them and wrapping them definitely keeps them lubricated, silent and smooth for many years. I was unaware that powder coating would do the same, I imagined that powder coated leaves would be dry and would tend to have more inertia before they would slide over each other. I also thought that they would be creaky and noisy compared to properly oiled and wrapped ones. To hear that this is not the case is very interesting and something that it is clearly worth looking into. I suppose the ultimate would be to powder coat the leaves and then oil and wrap them!!!!!

Tim R.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I have Teflon pads now and would reinstall them after powder coating the springs. I have powder coated my rear axle and fuel tank, but not at the same time. I wish I had, I would have done the springs. One day when it bugs me enough I will remove my fuel tank so I can powder coat my springs.
i-FX8LfR2-XL.jpg

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tim, No noises or creaks - guaranteed. Used self made rubber pads between the blades. A plate of good hard shoe rubber and a suitably sized hole punch did the trick. There were no replacements available at that time. Heard that Rick @ now carries them. Don't think more inertia and even if so better for the small width S1 spring blades...