• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

World Products 2.8 v6 heads

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I was reading today about World Products making upgraded heads for the 2.8 v6 to rid it of valve train/lifter noise and cracked heads. Has anyone heard of this or better yet come across an engine w/ them installed? If so how would they be identified and how were they different?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Doug,

I went to the World Products site, and all they showed for heads, were for the Chevys and Ford small blocks. I had heard about some 2.9 V6 heads being made to cure the cracking problems, but not for the 2.8.

Jose

alpine_64

Donation Time
Would be great if world products did some heads for the ford V6, you would assume given their prodiuct range they may offer them as an alloy head.. now that would certainly make the V6 Alpine as even more attractive coversion.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

Aluminum heads for the 2.8 are what dreams are made of. As much as I would love that, I doubt that anyone would spend the kind of money to make a set of heads for an old engine. I do know where there is a set of aluminum heads for the 2.8, but they are raw castings and would need a ton of machining to make them ready to put on the engine. The guy that owns them, used to build the engines for the Ford sponsored off road trucks. They were experimental heads, that were never used, before Ford pulled the plug on the program. If someone wants to persue these heads, just drop me a line and I will give you the contact info for the guy.

Jose

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
World Products

I also checked out the WP site and no mention of v6 heads. But, the article I read from Popular Hot Rodding,Feb.2009, specifically states the 2.8 heads became WP's best selling product. Maybe the writer, Randy Fish, meant to say that WP's heads generally was their best product, but that is not what he said. Google ' the worlds worst engines' and the article should come up. Then scroll down the list to find the 2.8 and his comments. I am going to try to find more info about this.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I also checked out the WP site and no mention of v6 heads. But, the article I read from Popular Hot Rodding,Feb.2009, specifically states the 2.8 heads became WP's best selling product. Maybe the writer, Randy Fish, meant to say that WP's heads generally was their best product, but that is not what he said. Google ' the worlds worst engines' and the article should come up. Then scroll down the list to find the 2.8 and his comments. I am going to try to find more info about this.

This has come up before and no one seems to know exactly what this article is talking about. It appears the author is confusing the 2.8 with the 2.9, which did have cracking problems.

Bill

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I guess you are probably right; given Jose's experience and knowledge and all the other v6 folks someone would have come across them.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
There was a place a while back that I had emailed, because of an article I read about aftermarket 2.8 heads. I can't find it, so I don't know if this is the same place, but it sound like it. And no, they weren't producing heads for the 2.8.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
All I have been able to find is info on the WP 2.9 head, which is available according to the WP website. I think it is also a cast iron head, thicker and w/ better flow characteristics.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Aluminum heads would be great, but unfortunately, they are not available. The roller rockers aren´t necessary either, because the amount of power they would free up, wouldn´t be worth what they would cost. The stock valve gear will rev so quickly to 7,000 rpm that you should use a rev limiter, so why pay a ton for roller rockers. BTW, you can have them made for the 2.8, but you might not want to pay the price.

Jose

Alumium heads would be wonderful. It would even be nice if there were roller rockers available.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rob,

I had a turbocharged 2.8 V6 powered Alpine at one time. My fabricator built it for a friend of mine originally, then he sold it to me. I had it for several years, before I sold it to my son. He had it for a few years and sold it to someone else. I don´t know where it is now.

When I got it, it still had the old Mustang II four speed in it. I swapped out the four speed and put a T5 from a 5.0 Mustang in it. I also had it tyno tuned and the shop estimated the power at 400+, since it pegged their 350 hp. pretty easily.

I don´t know if the guy that said he rode in a turbocharged Alpine was talking about mine. He would have had to have lived in So. Cal or Seattle, because that is where the car spent it´s time. Maybe the original owner gave this guy a ride. Anyway, it was fast. The dyno shop said it was the fastest accelerating street car they´d ever had in the shop. It definitely is a fun ride.

To duplicate this car, it would take a very talented fabricator, and about $6K-$7K just to do the turbo application. A cheaper way to go, and the way I would go if I were to do it again, is use nitrous oxide injection. It is way cheaper (about $1K) to do, yet is powerful. I would have a professional install it, so that it doesn´t burn down the engine, by running too lean.

Jose