• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Work finally underway! Part 1

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm stuck at the Baltimore airport, so I thought this would be a good time to post the second chapter of my SIV V6 project (the first chapter was published in the old Marque and is available here: http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/alpine_marque/issue_16.pdf). After close to 8 years, work has finally begun on my SIV V6! I've talked about this before, but I 'gave' it to a local body shop to work on after having the entire car sandblasted. The shop is a one-man operation, but that one man is the only guy in the St. Louis area I know with Sunbeam experience and he does terrific work. (Those of you who have seen Ranney Dohogne and Bryon Golfin's red Tigers have seen his work.) Our deal was that he would work on the car in between insurance projects and charge me a lower hourly rate, but the car would be done when it was done and I wouldn't owe him a dime until then. His estimate at the time was that it might take a year. But, he got busier right after taking on my car and something seemed to happen, like a massive hail storm that tied up every body shop within a 100 mile radius, every time he had a window. However, he had a slow period a couple of months ago and took the car from his house - where it has been for more than 7 years - to his shop. The shop is very small, meaning the car is now in the way. He's promised not to move it until it is finished, which is a strong incentive for him to get it done.

The car is almost totally rust free, as it was originally a California car that was taken off of the road after about 15 years following what I believe was a multi-car car fender bender. It then spend the next 35 years in dry storage. The biggest problems it has are not the result of the actual accident (or accidents, as I have no way of knowing), but rather previous amateur attempts at repairing the damage. For example, someone cut out part of the rear valence, "straightened" it and then welded it back in. The only problem, besides the fact that the straightening involved lots of filler, was that the trunk gap was now too narrow and the trunk lid no longer closed properly. Similar work had been done on the front valence. Lots of work for a professional!

I might not have bought the car had I known everything I learned after the sandblasting, but on the other hand, starting with a rust-free body is nothing to sneeze at. I bought a very rusty SV parts car a few years ago and the body guy and I cut it up to salvage parts we needed for the SIV. The SV had terminal rust, but for some reason, the valences and the trunk lid were solid. I had them dipped to be sure they were as rust free as the rest of the vehicle. So, here are a couple of photos showing the work so far, or at least as of a couple of weeks ago when I was last in St. Louis. The first shows the new valence tack welded into place.

Because of damage to the driver's headlight bucket he chose to keep that from the donor car and weld just behind it, as shown here.

Here are a couple of shots of the rear valence. (I know the SIV and SV are different. The car is a hot rod, so I am not worried about originality.)

Obviously, everything is very rough at the moment, but the gaps around the trunk and hood are now perfect. More in the next post.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
HiJim,

Congratulationsonfinally getting to start your project. It sure looks good all shiney in bare metal. I can´t wait to see it finished. It has been a long time, hasn´t it?

Jose

kmathis

Donation Time
That car looks great!! Good things come to those that wait, and I think you have waited long enough. :)

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim,

How exciting to get going on that project! Keep sending the updates. Hope it all goes well.

Mike

Jim, I cut out the fresh air vents from a SV that was very, very rusty and beyond repair (economically) that will go into my '65 SIV GT. I think it is a great idea too;)

Glad you are making progress. Mine is still going slowly,

Thanks guys. In hindsight, it was stupid to break the photos into two threads, so I am responding to you here. I should have just added the second set of pictures as a second post on the first part and had everything together. I guess I wasn't thinking very clearly last night. So, I am responding to your comments on this one and will move the photos from #2 over to this thread and delete that post later.

My SV was well beyond repair, too. There is still an old thread about it on this site. http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5653The photos are still on Snapfish, although you need an account to see them. I have attached a screen shot of the one that probably tells you all you want to know about that car.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 32

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
HiJim,

Congratulationsonfinally getting to start your project. It sure looks good all shiney in bare metal. I can´t wait to see it finished. It has been a long time, hasn´t it?

Jose

That car looks great!! Good things come to those that wait, and I think you have waited long enough. :)

Thanks guys. It is very exciting, indeed and it has been a very long time coming. Now I just need a garage to put it in! My new house only has a small one car. We have plans drawn up for a two car, but still have to go through all of the zoning hoops in order to get started. I am not sure what I will do if the SIV is ready before the garage. I could put my SV in storage for a little while, although the current one car (which is below the house and will stay after the new one is finished) is pretty small and isn't the best place for working. On the other hand, it is warm, which might be a big plus if it is done in the winter.

I am still going back to St. Louis pretty regularly and will hopefully have more pictures to post in the near future.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Just moving the other photos and comments over to this thread so that everything is together.

The right side rocker panel was damaged and peviously repaired. He felt it was easier to just cut out the damaged area and weld in a new section from a patch panel that I had 'in stock'.

And, finally, here is one of the fresh air vents salvaged from my parts car. The car will really be a SIV/SV hybrid. Maybe I should call it a S4.5?

Note he found a little rust just above the vent. Apparently, the factory missed a bit of seam sealer nearby and water worked its way in. The only other rust was behind the right rear wheel well, in the area that prompted a recall due to faulty seam sealing when the cars were new.

So, that will be it on my V6 posts for a while. The ironic part of the story is that after 8 years the car will finally be ready before I have a garage to put it it! We are working on plans and permits to add a new garage to our NY house, but expect that process to take close to a year. My guess is that he will be done well before that. I haven't decided what I will do about that yet, but stay tuned!

Thanks for indulging me while I waited for my flight. It is finally time to board, only an hour late.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, I cut out the fresh air vents from a SV that was very, very rusty and beyond repair (economically) that will go into my '65 SIV GT. I think it is a great idea too

Glad you are making progress. Mine is still going slowly,

kmathis

Donation Time
Thanks guys. It is very exciting, indeed and it has been a very long time coming. Now I just need a garage to put it in! My new house only has a small one car. We have plans drawn up for a two car, but still have to go through all of the zoning hoops in order to get started. I am not sure what I will do if the SIV is ready before the garage. I could put my SV in storage for a little while, although the current one car (which is below the house and will stay after the new one is finished) is pretty small and isn't the best place for working. On the other hand, it is warm, which might be a big plus if it is done in the winter.

I am still going back to St. Louis pretty regularly and will hopefully have more pictures to post in the near future.

I built a two car garage in my back yard, I started with the city building dept. in January, and didn't get started building until the following November...after Thanksgiving. I does take forever, so I hope you are started, so you can proceed sooner, rather than later. Good Luck to you, and it sure is nice when it is all done, and you can turn it into...everything you want.:)

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I built a two car garage in my back yard, I started with the city building dept. in January, and didn't get started building until the following November...after Thanksgiving. I does take forever, so I hope you are started, so you can proceed sooner, rather than later. Good Luck to you, and it sure is nice when it is all done, and you can turn it into...everything you want.:)

We will probably be on a similar time line, if all goes well. It could be even worse, as we are close to the bay and our lot could be considered environmentally sensitive. Our neighbors (across the street and thus right on the water) spent two years getting permission for a complete house remodel (they left just one wall standing from the original). We're hoping that street between us will make things easier and faster. We just had the survey done and should know more shortly.