• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wool seat cushion

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Any experience with the medical sheepskin/wool cushions? I'm to the point (age - my age) that long trips cause hip pain. The 600 mile per day trips are pretty grim. The confined nature of the Alpine seems to compound my problem and am wondering if the sheepskin pads are helpful. Not interested so much in the hot/cool aspect of comfort.

I'm using relatively new Miata seats and they do not seem to cripple me, I can walk around after two hours of driving. But damn, it hurts just setting behind the wheel.

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill,

Are you talking about butt pain or hip joint pain?

More "cushioning" might help with butt pain, but pain in the hip joints is probably related to leg position and / or lack of movement for long periods.

I solved my hip joint pain problem by having both of them replaced; there is nothing left to hurt.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Any experience with the medical sheepskin/wool cushions? I'm to the point (age - my age) that long trips cause hip pain. The 600 mile per day trips are pretty grim. The confined nature of the Alpine seems to compound my problem and am wondering if the sheepskin pads are helpful. Not interested so much in the hot/cool aspect of comfort.

I'm using relatively new Miata seats and they do not seem to cripple me, I can walk around after two hours of driving. But damn, it hurts just setting behind the wheel.

Bill

Hi Bill .... My son uses a contoured gel type pad in his wheelchair seat cushion and it seemed to help him with hip pain as he's had hip surgery. may be worth a try as well as seat/leg position.

...... David

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Can't really decide what is causing the pain. It feels like pressure, say from a wallet or hanky. But I've nothing in my pocket and the pain disappears as soon as I get out of the car. No pain at all while walking. Don't know what to make of it.

I've decided a cushion can't hurt, but most sound hot and sweaty.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill, Some times I have trouble adjusting the seat in various vehicles I drive to support my legs under and just behind the knees.

If not adequately supported I can soon realize discomfort.

Being a bit over 6'2" and have long legs I make sure my Alpine seats (original restored) are properly adjusted perfectly for me. Love the ride:D

DanR

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
DanR

I am also 6 foot 2 with long legs. My Sunbeam is not ready to run yet BUT as it is a Ser I car, the seat backs do not adjust they are at fixed angle (they can be moved up and back only). I plan to locate the seat rail so that I can get max leg length. But I would like to know at what back angle your seat is at to provide comfort.

John in Colorado

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
John, The little clips on the underside are placed in the lower position. Thankfully for the adjustable back I make adjustments on occasions when I seem to be getting uncomfortable. Not sure exactly what angle is most comfortable, will take a sitting and lat you know.

Most of the time the seat is fully back from the dash. I hardly ever utilized the adjustable wheel.

DanR

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
DanR

Thanks - I have some latitude on seat arrangement as the seat rails are not installed. I have a 50,s car that the seats are very uncomfortable and would like to make the Alpine a better fit.

John in Colorado

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, just what do you mean by "very uncomfortable"? Uncomfortable as in it makes you butt hurt or sets you at a strange angle?

I ask because the foam rubber in these seats waved bye bye about 30 years ago. As a result, they provide very little butt cushion and drop your hips down onto the seat rails. To make matters worse, the diaphragms rot, dropping you further into the abyss. Now THAT is uncomfortable. If this is the case, replace the seat foams and take it from there. When in good shape, the Alpine seats really are pretty good.

Bill

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill, I had the same issue with my F150 seat. Previous owner had it pretty close to level on the bottom cushion. I adjusted it so it is slanting up in front a couple inches. Drove it 12 hours pulling my trailer instead of 1 hour without leg pain.

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
More Seat Talk

We started talking seats here some time ago so I will continue with my seat update.

I have a Ser I car that had LOTS of rust out. So new floor pans both front and back were necessary. As the seat rails were also missing, and that the Ser I car had seats that were horz in the for and aft movement and had no back rest adjustment I have installed Ser V seats.

The Ser V seats are on a 8 degree up angle from rear to front so that your rear end is lower than your knees. They also have adjustable seat backs.

As these two seats are very different in how they are installed. I had to modify the Ser I seat space to mirror the Ser V seat space and make the seat track braces. There is also some minor changes to the outside portion of the bottom seat frame so I could get the Max seat movement to the rear and thus max the leg length - I am six foot two.

I have attached pictures showing what I started with and how it ended up. So far I think it will work out just fine.

John in Colorado

Attachments

• New Floor Right Rear.JPG
    New Floor Right Rear.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 27
  • New Seat Slides R Side.JPG
    New Seat Slides R Side.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 29
  • New Seat Slider R Side.JPG
    New Seat Slider R Side.JPG
    287.5 KB · Views: 28
  • New Seats 2.JPG
    New Seats 2.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 30

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I had forgotten about this thread, time for an update. The hip pain kept getting worse, arriving sooner during a drive. I decided I would just have to live with it. About a year ago, we bought a new mattress and the pain disappeared! We drove the 'Pine over 12,000 miles last fall with no pain.
I went ahead and bought the wool pad. It did nothng for the pain, but I do not consider it a waste of money. It seems to add comfort on long drives, which it seems, is about all we take. Even though I am overweight, I have no ass. The pad helps.

Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time

Bill
When rebuilding my 65 Mustang I replaced the OEM foam seats with new foam and new vinyl and it made a GINORMUS difference on trips. Is the foam not available for our Alpine? I was counting on rebuilding the OEM seats.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, I think they are available.

But I wanted seats that hold the seat belt in place as it goes over the shoulder. Part of my vision of a "better" Alpine. Well, our vision. Barb really hates seat belts that are uncomfortable or dangerous. Our "stockish" stock seats failed both. At least when combined with our three point seat belts.
Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Yes, I think they are available.

But I wanted seats that hold the seat belt in place as it goes over the shoulder. Part of my vision of a "better" Alpine. Well, our vision. Barb really hates seat belts that are uncomfortable or dangerous. Our "stockish" stock seats failed both. At least when combined with our three point seat belts.
Bill
It has been several years ago but a street rod buddy had a 27 roadster...okay, I know it ain't a Beam but the seat problem is the same, and he got seats out of a Miata, I think. Anyway, they had a "medium" height back and shoulder strap seat belt. The 3rd belt tied to the floor or quarter section behind the seat. Three point tie-down belts are available for roadster street rods that could be adapted to our Sunbeam. Just a possible option.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, you described our seat belts. The Series V cars (maybe others, IDK) have seat belt anchoring points built into the rear inner fender panels. The problem is they are located about waist high of the seated occupants. If the belts are not held above shoulder height, in a wreck, the belts will crush your shoulder. The later style Miata belts hold the shoulder belt above the shoulder. I was not able to find any earlier Miata seats (I think they exist) that would do that.

Stock Alpine seats certainly will not do this. I think a car like ours (and the one you want to build) need this.

Bill

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
We had Cobra seats in the last Tiger found that the rake was a little too much so I finally raised he rear with an alloy shim, we too have replaced the floors but did not replace the seat mts. well fab some to fit Corbeau seats were going to use this time.IMG_1797.JPG IMG_1802.JPG IMG_1810.JPG

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Yes, you described our seat belts. The Series V cars (maybe others, IDK) have seat belt anchoring points built into the rear inner fender panels. The problem is they are located about waist high of the seated occupants. If the belts are not held above shoulder height, in a wreck, the belts will crush your shoulder. The later style Miata belts hold the shoulder belt above the shoulder. I was not able to find any earlier Miata seats (I think they exist) that would do that.

Stock Alpine seats certainly will not do this. I think a car like ours (and the one you want to build) need this.

Bill
Bill, I think those Miata seats had a "loop" that looked like a little handle on the seat back corner to hold the shoulder belt in place when not in use and during a crash. I never sat in the car but it looked like it would work. This would have been in the mid - late 90's. If I can remember the guys name I'll contact him and ask what year. In my move from Rising Star to Abilene LOTS of stuff has been lost or broken. OH, you were right...wish I had my milling machine back!!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
We had Cobra seats in the last Tiger found that the rake was a little too much so I finally raised he rear with an alloy shim, we too have replaced the floors but did not replace the seat mts. well fab some to fit Corbeau seats were going to use this time.View attachment 9590 View attachment 9591 View attachment 9592

Pro, What's the steel plate (?) in the Picture 9592 used for? Is it to attach the shoulder strap? If so, can/will you please provide how you managed that?

I believe it is a worthwhile safety feature to get the upgrade on seat belts.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Pro, What's the steel plate (?) in the Picture 9592 used for? Is it to attach the shoulder strap? If so, can/will you please provide how you managed that?

I believe it is a worthwhile safety feature to get the upgrade on seat belts.
Dan not quite sure what you asking me here, the first pic is the raw floor we fabbed the second is both floors under primer and the third is the new side panel (where the e brake used to live) we replaced both sides with one we dreamed up.