• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wood dash - Glove box lock

donchiotos

Donation Time
I put a wood dash in my Alpine, but the glove box door did not come with a lock or latch. I looked at other Alpines and Tigers that have wooden glove box doors and they all have the same chrome round pushbutton latch. The best I can find is one for the VW. This is very similar as far as I can tell. So I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what they used for their dash glove box door. Thanks

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have often wondered the same thing. Even though I am a long way from getting to the point where I need a solution, I thought I would respond, just to put this back into everyone's "New Posts" feed. Surely someone here knows a good latch solution?

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Good to see this get a bump up. I was just texting with a new owner who said he was looking for a lock as he was replacing his dash. My first comment was , I guess had the pain of returning to the car to find the top cut and locked things opened with a pry bar.
Early pre 68 VWs are a good choice as they don't have the rubber NHTSA knobs. One of the best forums is TheSamba. So not stuck with ePay when looking for bits to graft together. Stay safe or go to a empty parking lot and burn some cheap gas, and burn that rubber before tires get pull dated :)

65beam

Donation Time
There is a very simple solution for those that either make their own or buy from someone other than Sunbeam Specialties. This dash for the RHD Harrington was bought from SS. It has a predrilled hole in the door and comes with a chrome knob and there is a bracket secured to the inside of the wood that has a magnetic strip attached. The steel flat head screw holding the knob secures the door to the magnet so it doesn't open when not wanted. The red Harrington has the lockable door that Harrington installed. It has the push button that allows the tab to recede into the lock housing. These lock units are very hard to find. The glove box is made of card board so the lock wouldn't be much use if someone wanted in the box of the Harrington. 110_0299.JPG 100_0297.JPG

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Rockler is a good brick and mortar wood working supply place, with a good selection of latches etc. Bob's looks like the one on my 64 bug convertible except for the pull. Karmann Ghia's had a nice small one too..

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I thought Rockler was a good suggestion and just spent a little time on their site. I didn't see anything that looked right, but a few things that were close had me google "push button cabinet latch" and there is quite a lot available there that might work. For example:
https://www.hardwaretree.com/prodde...VrfJwaDWO7QbS5-PFxgNEtdfvHCpElxsaAi83EALw_wcB
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwjgtcvzl-boAhWrm-AKHdIKCCgQ8wIIzAM
https://www.boatoutfitters.com/pull...4L7rA2KInigxTE33eEqop9KndOcxQ5RgaAnjKEALw_wcB

Most of these are a little bigger than I would like, but I only spent a few minutes at it and hopefully this gives anyone else looking a place to start. I also came across something that might be a good alternative to a magnetic catch, if you only want to go with a pull knob like Bob showed on his dash:
https://www.boatoutfitters.com/stai...DN5eezN2yKsTaxbokbTpvyGwHAEfQUSkaAkXMEALw_wcB
It would probably take a little work to make it secure in our flimsy glove boxes, but I like the fact that the tension is adjustable.

65beam

Donation Time
Jim,
The magnetic catch for the glove box door is not my creation. This is the way the west coast supplier does them for SS. There's a conversation on one of the Sunbeam face book pages concerning a better lock to replace the factory lock on the console. The lock is good, the tab on the metal of the console lid is an easy item to bend if you pull up hard on the lid when locked. Just take a look at the lid.

Last edited: