• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wiring an A4LD into an Alpine

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
As soon as I got the A4LD installed, I decided I'd better identify the hank of cut off wires attached to it. I identified and marked the following:
Neutral start pair
Back up light pair
Speedo pair
4th gear/lockup solenoid trio. Trio because of the way the VOM tested them. One wire had continuity with other other two @ 30 Ohms (plus or minus) and the other two read 60 Ohms when read as a pair. I read this (correctly) that there was one hot wire feeding two solenoids. I extended all wires with soldered joints and called it a job to be finished while wiring up the car. Well, that day has arrived and things are somewhat different. One wire reads 30 Ohms against the common wire, the other wire reads 1 Ohm against the common wire. The pair that had read 60 Ohms now read about 30. NEITHER wire will activate a solenoid. One of the wires just gets hot when hooked up, the other gives an appropriate small spark, but the solenoid remains silent. Does any of this make sense? But anyway, looks like I will be installing two solenoids.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
No, this thread deals with hooking up a properly working shift/lockup, not troubleshooting an inoperative shift/lookup.

Bill