• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wires

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Finally got my #2 awg wire in today and ran the Positive line to the solenoid. I run most wires NOW to avoid having to drill holes after paint. I remove them and store in a safe place for installing permanently later. Alternator, regulator, coil, starter solenoid, head & tail light wires, fuel pump and gauge sender, plus extra ground wires between dash, firewall, and motor. Not sure if AC will be used but a compressor wire is run and a wire for fog lights...just in case.

Attachments

• IMG_2285.JPG
    IMG_2285.JPG
    703.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2286.JPG
    IMG_2286.JPG
    681.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2287.JPG
    IMG_2287.JPG
    649.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2289.JPG
    IMG_2289.JPG
    747 KB · Views: 39

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I may give some more thought to my wiring. I was supposed to send the car in for paint at the end of the month, but that is likely on hold since I am out of work right now. I do have my new rebel wiring harness, I may lay it out and see how the holes look.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Aladin, I started building cars before any of the modern suppliers were in business. J C Whitney, Speedway Motors and maybe a couple of other suppliers were all we had. I remember walking through a wrecking yard and thinking I was in heaven, because I could adapt many later parts to my old Hot Rod. In the 1960's I was a TV repairman who built cars as a hobby. My degree in electronics made me serious about wiring my cars. I knew every Mom & Pop auto parts place in Dallas, and was allowed to mix-and-match radiator hoses, fan belts, vacuum lines, PCV fittings, brake lines, etc. because they understood I did not know what car the part may be from that I would put on my car. Those were great days. I have no idea how many cars I have built or helped build, and I learned a lot of tricks from other builders. Never be afraid to ask and copy good work. Factory ideas also can be adapted. Pre-fitting things to a body or frame saves lots of time and makes things look neat when finished. It often seems like a lot of extra time but it makes life better later. Believe me when I say driving through Podunk Arkansas in a Street Rod with a different motor, trans, steering, brakes, and much more, at 2:00 AM can be a big worry. Where do I go if something brakes? Knowing electrical problems are a major factor in on-the-road brake-downs, having proper wire size, fuses, circuit breakers, relays, and "safe" wire routing, makes for a nice worry free trip. It is always a good idea to layout wires in their general area before actually installing them. You may find some items are not where the harness thought they would be. It is much easier to modify a harness laying on a garage floor than after installed. Good Luck!