• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wire wheel removal

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Removing a stuck wire wheel that has been on a barn find Alpine SV. Wheel does not turn. Any suggestions on how to get it pulled off the spline? Other 3 came off with no problem.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Take a heat gun and heat up the wheel near where the splines fit up. Get it really hot to melt the old grease that is still hopefully left on the splines. Failing that, break out the hot wrench and I bet it comes off!

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I would remove the spinner and rest a soldering iron (or two) against the wheel where it goes onto the hub. This is a kind way to apply a gentle heat without damaging paint etc. It will melt the grease and I expect you will be able to remove the wheel. I do this to remove rear hubs and have always been successful.

Tim R

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the replies, took the blue wrench to it after taking off the spinner, melted grease out tried beating on the back of the rim with no luck. Since I cannot turn the wheel (locked up) drastic measures are going to have to be taken. The wheel is not in good shape at all and have 3 other spares. May end up using a cutoff wheel to split the spline stuck on the wheel, not pretty at all. Car was in storage for 26 years without a cover(a little dirty) just love an adventure.IMG_2344.JPG

65beam

Donation Time
Al,
Tiger Tom taught me years ago to use a big hammer. If the wheel isn't needed just loosen the spinner and hit the wheel with a sledge hammer. It either breaks loose or the spokes break. This works for stuck brakes too. We had a similar problem when we picked up the 69 in 06. It had been in that garage since the early 70's.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
IMG_2390.JPG Only 3 cuts good thing I got my tetnous shot last year. Barb doesn't have a version. What happens in the shop......you know the rest.

65beam

Donation Time
The next time I have a flat and you're around I'll ask a friend to keep you at a safe distance!

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Only if your car hasn't been in long term storage(26 plus years)brake locked up, tire dry rotted and a wire wheel. This is not the normal way I work on things and hope not to in the future!

65beam

Donation Time
Al,
When Jean and I picked up the 69 in 2006 I ended up hooking a chain to it and pulled it out of the garage after being in there for 30+ years. Left a couple black marks on their garage floor.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Al,
When Jean and I picked up the 69 in 2006 I ended up hooking a chain to it and pulled it out of the garage after being in there for 30+ years. Left a couple black marks on their garage floor.
Welcome to the British car school of blacksmithing

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
A friend told me a good tip for winching a car with a locked wheel(s). Liquid dish soap poured all over the floor or the trailer ramp and it slides like on ice!

65beam

Donation Time
A friend told me a good tip for winching a car with a locked wheel(s). Liquid dish soap poured all over the floor or the trailer ramp and it slides like on ice!
Make sure you use DAWN. It works good for cleaning grease or oil so it would be easy to clean a trailer that hauls British cars.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, I used Simple Green when I retrieved my MG TD. NONE of the wheels turned on that car, and the soap did indeed help.