• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

windshield wiper electrical circuit

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
The wipers in my Series V have stopped working. The way I am reading the wiring schematic, the motor is always getting power (from the green wire) and the switch is actually completing the ground.

Can one of the electrical guru's out there confirm I am understanding the circuit correctly?

Thanks in advance!

Todd Reid

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Did it run one day and then just stopped? If so it may not be electrical, if you have not had the unit out of the car it may just need the gear box cleaned out and regreased. This seems to be the case most of the times!:cool:

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Todd, Yes, you have it about right. The green wire delivers 12 V always. and the wiper switch brings ground to one of the other two wires depending on speed desired. The internal limit switch will also ground the motor to complete the wipe cycle and park the blades. Note that the internal limit switch will park the motor at "normal" speed, which is the slower of the two speeds.

Tom

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

George; I have not touched the wipers (other than install new blades) since I bought the car in 1979 - I guess they may be due for lubrication! They worked fine last fall, but did not survive the winter nap. Any guidance or advice on the best procedure would be most welcome. Do you do this in the car or remove? If remove, where is the best place to detach from the linkage, etc being left in the car?

I have verified that the motor is getting power, but I do not see or here anything indicating it is even trying to move. Would a bound up gearbox bring things to a complete halt?

Thanks again!

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK, you have "verified that it is getting power". But have you also verified that it is getting ground? If the switch is not grounding it, it is really not "getting power".

A couple things to try:
1) make sure the switch has a good ground. If so the motor shoud try to run
2) Take the red / grn wire off the switch and touch it directly to ground. Should run
3) take the red / grn wire and measure the voltage on it. It should be same voltage as the green power lead. With lead ungrounded, and thus no current flowing thru the motor, the voltage at the Red / Grn lead should be same as power lead. if not, you have an open circuit somewhere in the motor.

I recommend checking these simple electrics before disassembling the motor.

One more thing to check. Verify that the motor is grounded. Near as I can tell that would only affect the wiper parking circuit if it was not grounded, but there may be some other factor that I do not see. Regardless the motor is supposed to be grounded and I don't think it gets grounded thru the mounting bolts which are rubber isolated.

Tom

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
The wipers in my Series V have stopped working. The way I am reading the wiring schematic, the motor is always getting power (from the green wire) and the switch is actually completing the ground.

Can one of the electrical guru's out there confirm I am understanding the circuit correctly?

Thanks in advance!

Todd Reid

Wiper motor must be grounded. Wiper switch must also be grounded. Be sure all connections are free of corrosion and that all grounds are clean and corrosion free. Pete. (Paul A)