• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Window Weather Strip

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
A hot tip from the Invasion is that 1967-69 Camaro trunk weather strip makes a killer seal between the side window and top.

A further tip: It is available from Auto Zone, nineteen bucks and should be enough for 3 Alpines! I ordered some today, the counter guy said it will be in Wednesday. Stay tuned.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the Auto Zone tip! I was about to buy some from one of the eBay suppliers, but I will definitely wait to see if you are happy with the AZ materials!

For everyone else, I want to add to Bill's tip that the reason the Camaro seal is such a "killer" is because 1) it fits in the existing channels and 2) it is slightly thicker and much wider than stock. So, it does a better job sealing against wind and water. It appears to be a great solution for those who are more concerned with sealing than originality, but is not for the purist.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Does anyone have pics of the deal or it installed? Also a section view of it, perhaps some dimsensions?

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Michael,
I wonder if the HK-T-G Holden boot seal is the same profile as a 60s Camaro? Holden pinched quite a few parts from the GM bin. Still can't see one costing $19 here ;-)

Regards,
Paul.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
No photos here. I did a quick search on the Google Machine and very quickly ended up on a Camaro site (surprise!) and the common wisdom was the AZ supplier had the best quality of weather stripping.

Yeah, it does look rather dorky installed, it is so wide. But Murray said it is absolutely water tight. Dry and dorky is good. Too bad it will prevent me from showing the car as Factory Stock.

Bill

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill

Which Autozone part number? They list 2, TK 46-0 and TK 46-15 Thoughts?
Even with enlarging the image I cannot discern any real difference.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill

Which Autozone part number? They list 2, TK 46-0 and TK 46-15 Thoughts?
Even with enlarging the image I cannot discern any real difference.

I got the cheaper of two. The more expensive one is hollow, the other is not. OEM was solid. Maybe others should hold off ordering until I give this a try. I doubt if Murray knows what his friend used.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael,
I wonder if the HK-T-G Holden boot seal is the same profile as a 60s Camaro? Holden pinched quite a few parts from the GM bin. Still can't see one costing $19 here ;-)

Regards,
Paul.

There is a thick seal that people here in melbourne use.. i do not like the lopp of them on the car.. but next time you are at a SA club meet the modified red tiger that was rebuilt in melbourne uses that seal. have a look at it.

65beam

Donation Time
weather strip

if you have your windows, vent windows, doors and top frame adjusted right the original rubber fits great. also keep in mind that some suppliers sell rubber that is not even close to the original. SS sells a product that is as close to original as you can buy. it matches up to the nos pieces i have. with all of the above set as they need to be and using what rick sells,the windows on the wife's alpine set in the rubber as the factory intended. it's a lot of work but worth it.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just picked up the weather strip. It is the -15 material and is hollow. First observation, it will not fit into the channels. The new stuff is about 1/8" too wide. I might be able to trim to fit or simply glue it in, but that is not a job for today. Other things have priority.

Bob, that is what Ed Esslinger said. All I know is that while looking at the fit on about 20 Alpines, all of them had window gaps you could throw a cat through. It is bad at the top, especially around the quarter window and I see no way to bridge that gap with the stock seal. The window simply does not roll up far enough to meet the seal. My seal is from Rick and looks like the rest of them.

Bill

moonracer

Donation Time
Are you taking about the seal that was on the red Alpine that we compaired to my car Bill? The one that was about 1-1.5 wide with the door and window closed. I though they said it was some kind of chrysler seal.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Are you taking about the seal that was on the red Alpine that we compaired to my car Bill? The one that was about 1-1.5 wide with the door and window closed. I though they said it was some kind of chrysler seal.

Yep, that's it. The next morning, Murray had gotten in touch with his buddy and had jotted down the make/model. It was for a 67-69 Camaro trunk. To be truthful, at this point the sample I have does not look like his, but who knows what will happen to it after it has been smashed against a window for a few weeks?

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
weather strip

there are a lot of variables and time involved in adjusting everything. when doug restored the body on jean's alpine, he spent a lot of time working to set everything. one of the biggest problems that pops up over time is that the top hinges don't get lubed and they tend to rust and bend and throw everything out of sorts. check out the springs on the top hinges and i'll bet they don't work properly. i know that we will have a lot of time in the series 4 since we have to work around using the hard top also and setting the soft top frame ,windshield ,etc to all be the same.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just popped out to the garage and checked our top/window fitment.

It looks great, better than it ever has. I think the problem is body sag. The car has been setting for the past two days at about a 10 degree rake, supported on jack stands placed under the front spring eye. The passenger door fits (and opens and closes) better than it ever has. The drivers door will not latch, but the window fits better than it ever has. Normally, the rear of the window will not reach the seal. It does now.

This is very solid, never rusted/repaired body.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
I have to agree with bob about spending the time to get the soft top frame, screen frame, 1/4 windows all set before you get a good seal.

It's quite comon for peoples screens to be sitting at the wrong angle which then throws out the alignment of the arms on the top frame.. to far back and the vertical seal wont be tight, and the top of the window to seal fitting will open as it moves forward, to far forward the 1/4 windoes have a larger gap at the top and the seal will be to high along the window..

Another issue is people twist the mountings that go under the B posts in the body that the frames pivot off by forcing the tops when folding.. this changes the fit of the top and is often over looked. Its a long process to align all the stuff.. and 1 change has a roll on effect... not sure they were perfect when new.. but they were a lot better than many of the cars you see currently

moonracer

Donation Time
Bill, Could you post a picture of the seal before instalation? I would like to compare it to the SAAB door seal that I used. Thanks.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, Could you post a picture of the seal before instalation? I would like to compare it to the SAAB door seal that I used. Thanks.

Marty, this is about the best I can do. I can't see well enough to focus and the camera insists on focusing on the background.
IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2463.jpg

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rock Auto to the rescue! Here is their listing.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
The url is for the page that shows the weatherstrip, but goes only to the catalog. Sorry.

They show two products, hollow and solid. Even have the same part numbers as AZ for the Metro (brand I got) pieces. Looks like someone at AZ mixed up the package label on my part. But it is a Camaro/Firebird only part.

Bill