• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wide Bumper Bracket Spacing Problem

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
One of my front bumper brackets was bent causing the bumper to tilt upwards on the driver side, so I ordered a new pair from Rick

The good news is my bumpers are now horizontally true. The bad news is that I now have a ~1/2” space between the front of the car and the brackets shown in the picture below.

IMG_2967.jpeg

The brackets are on the correct side as indicated on the labeling.

What did I do wrong?

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
That's what they're supposed to have. They were never tight to the valance.
I’m embarrassed to say this, but I didn’t know that. Are the rear bumpers the same way, I mean are they supposed to have a ‘gap’ as well?

Thank you so much for clearing this up for me, I really appreciate you.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, the rears should also have some space, not tight to the body. There are spacers that fit in the
holes where the bolts go to hold the brackets tight against the body. They protrude slightly and allow the
bolts to be tightened without crushing the body. If you have difficulty getting your trunk key in the lock
you're most likely missing these.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, the rears should also have some space, not tight to the body. There are spacers that fit in the
holes where the bolts go to hold the brackets tight against the body. They protrude slightly and allow the
bolts to be tightened without crushing the body. If you have difficulty getting your trunk key in the lock
you're most likely missing these.
I am and I am missing them. The brackets are right to the body. I'll start looking around to source a pair. Thank you for your help!

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
You can make them yourself Scotty, I generally use a bottle jack handle ( round pipe) that will fit through the valance hole and cut them off at an inch or so. Your length may be a little longer or shorter depending on previous body work.