• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Why won't you attend an Invasion??

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
As long as "moving" is 50+, and "pouring" is less than an inch an hour. :D
I got drenched coming back to the Tipp City Invasion after our dinner run one year. I had just passed a nice funeral home, with a huge covered entrance (near the Dayton airport) thinking "I'll bet I can make it back before it rains..." No less than a mile down the road, the clouds opened and just soaked me completely. Tried going as fast as I could with typical wipers and headlights, but no joy. By the time I reached Ian's, it had stopped completely.

(No operating top, of course...)

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Ah but the 62 has a better raked windshield.We drove our car top down for 350 miles in a more or less steady rain.My friend in his Tiger got damp.We stopped for gas where there was overhangs.when we got to the farm for our first stop it was right into the big quonset hut.Fortuantely my brother inlaw left the gate and the hut open.No rain for days after that

Its true about 50 MPH plus.The heavier it rained the faster we went

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I used to have a Mercedes 230SL. My wife and I were driving it on the New Jersey Turnpike one day when it started to drizzle. The SL has an even better wind flow pattern than the Alpine and we were fine at normal highway speeds. It started to rain harder and we just sped up a bit and stayed dry. Then it really started to rain, but I found that going around 75 kept us dry, so we just kept driving in a good, solid rain. At one point we were passed by an old man in a Cadillac. He immediately slowed down to let us come along side him, honked his horn and pointed up at the sky, assuming we didn't know it was raining! We had fun with that, but unfortunately, we eventually had to get off for our exit and got totally soaked as soon as we slowed down,.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I am bringing this to the top again as this year's Invasion is several weeks away and not many are going to attend. Throw excuses out the window and come join us!! Eric

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Several reasons...

1. I have 4 different brands of LBC's and I can't possibly be in every club and go to every function.
  2. I can't take the time off work.
  3. My wife has just started a new job and *she* can't take the time off from work.
  4. My 16-year-old son still lives with us and I don't think he'd be trilled with going.
  5. My Sunbeam is not presently running - engine is out for a rebuild.

65beam

Donation Time
invasion

#1 your not the only person with other marques.
#2 take vacation time
#3 leave the wife at home
#4 your kid should be a car nut. you could have a big problem if he's not.
#5 you would not be the first to show up without a beam.
#6 WE NEED PEOPLE TO SHOW UP AND ENJOY!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
#1 your not the only person with other marques.
Yes, but 4? And that doesn't include the Miata. And every one has a very active club.

#2 take vacation time
We are in the midst of layoffs. I didn't take a vacation this year, and likely won't. I can't very well take time off to have fun when my peers and employees are losing their jobs.

Right, yeah.

#4 your kid should be a car nut. you could have a big problem if he's not.
He is. But he also has a social life and is on the swim team, so blowing off a weekend ain't happening.

#5 you would not be the first to show up without a beam.
Fair enough.

#6 WE NEED PEOPLE TO SHOW UP AND ENJOY!
Agree. And I'd like to. Indeed, I've got family all over TN and it would be a good way to combine it with family visits.

Answered above.

65beam

Donation Time
invasion

eric,
it seems a lot of guys need wives like we have. they don't have a problem with spending their vacation at a car show or sunbeam meet.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Reasons are quite different than excuses. Some folks have responsibilities, priorities, and commitments that supersede Sunbeams. Others don't.

moonracer

Donation Time
This is a topic I think every car club has talked about. I attended the Invasion last year for the first time. My wife and I wanted to see how someone else puts one on. We had a great time. I was in the prosess of getting my Alpine ready to go to this years and had employees quit. When you own your own business some things have to come first.

My wife is the president of the SAAB club of North America. We held our convention this year in Iowa City Iowa this year. Iowa is NOT a hot bed of SAABs compaired to the east coast. We still had about 150 attendees (last year it was held in NJ and only had 200). Our conventions are getting over priced in my opinion $179.00 per person this year plus lodging. This keeps the younger folks away. They run from Friday to sunday. The meal prices are whats driving up cost. We are starting to see that all most people want is a big parking lot, a dyno, and awards. We liked the way the Invasion was ran last year with most of the meals on your own at your expense.

I think travel is going to be an issue no matter what. I have driven Vintage 2-stroke saabs to the east coast from Iowa many times and driven to the west coast a couple of times. I enjoy the drive and I have friends that we all drive together with our vintage cars. This year there were VERY few east coasters and fewr west coasters. Everyone figures we will wait unill it's closer
I think the Sunbeam world suffers hear as alot of us are on our own untill we get to our destination which deters alot of folks. In essesnce I think all clubs have the same issues and it's not the quantity of people but the quality of people that attend. Just my 2 cents.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for your input-you bring up some good points based on your experiences. I am sorry that you won't be able to attend this year! Eric

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
The wife and I had planned to attend. Then found out my wife has to work that weekend, disaster recovery drill scheduled at work. So it didn't make sense to travel and have her spend the weekend working.

As to any suggestion to leave the wife at home I borrow from Puff4:

Right, yeah.

We would have been travelling by RV. Until the past week or so gas was pushing $4.00/gallon in N.E. Florida.

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
When this thread was started by Eric a few months ago we were concerned that there may have been a void in the events that could be filled, more tech sessions, cheaper motels etc. Eric and I are looking to host our fellow Sunbeam family again next year in Columbia, SC and we want to make sure you leave with a good feeling of getting what you paid for. Everyone has brought up very good points. The one I like the most is "Invading another British Car Show". Eric will do that again with our show which is tied in with a Scottish Games Festival. If you can think of other things that you would like to do at an Invasion please let us know.

See a bunch of you in Nashville!

Paul N.

Donation Time
I think travel is going to be an issue no matter what.

So true. My Alpine runs OK in 2' of water . . . . . .

alpine-ford.jpg

. . . . . . but I hear disturbing rumours that the Atlantic gets a tad deeper once you get past Ireland.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Allready planing on attending. We ( the wife and I )drove I79, #19 and I77 through Columbia this fall ( gorgeous scenery). Missed the show due to mechanical problems in Florida. But the spring should be a great time to come down from north of Toronto....Just need to get the seats a little more comfortable for 2 days of 10 hr driving.
Bobbo