• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Why won't you attend an Invasion??

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Over the last few years, the Invasion attendence has been not so great to be perfectly honest. To see the activity on this website forum and to then attend an Invasion and have only a few dozen people attend is hard to understand. For those that do not attend-why not? Please share your thoughts so that future Invasions can be tailored to get the most participation. I am asking this as the SCAT group is thinking about organizing another Invasion. Yes it is a lot of work and we want to do this so we get a LOT of Sunbeams and their owners all in one place. Getting out and driving our cars and meeting people face-to-face is what it is all about. Thanks for your ideas and thoughts! Eric

mikephillips

Donation Time
Up to last year I've been attending regularly. But the 2011 and this year's invasions have fallen on weekends where I've had software installs to do. In my job we get twice a year, non-negotiable days, normally April and October. Last year there was a bunch of lead in work over Labor day. Hopefully next year the dates will be at a time where work doesn't interfere.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Here are some contributing factors I've run into:

Non-summertime Invasion dates... Maybe not so important for some, but for families with kids who may be attending, it's a deal-killer. The Labor Day Tipp City events usually worked, but school actually starts before Labor Day.

Of course, summertime means heat, vacation traffic, no fall colors, etc.

Geography vs. work schedule... Events that are multiple-day drives away result in more travel time than Invading, and zero-tolerance for breakdowns on the way back. (Which means trailering for me.)

Of course, what's days away for me is right around the corner for lots of other folks... gotta spread it around!

Unforseen other factors -- I've been packed and ready to go to an Invasion, but had to bail at the last minute... Work issues that, as a sole proprietor, have to be dealt with by me. Both Cincinnati and recent NC event were thwarted by customer 'emergencies'. Not a good reason, but a good customer.

For the next few years, I'm looking more for things I can do with my wife and son, rather than without them.

Non-factors include activities, demonstrations, rallies, driving games, restaurants, etc... it's all good.

And I realize that some of my issues are non-issues for folks that are retired, have kids that are older (or much younger), those with lots o' vacation time, and those who are independently wealthy. :)

gordonra

Donation Time
For me, it's the great barrier at the edge of the universe.

Crossing the Rocky mountains represents a significant trip and that means time off work. With the current state of my parentsand my wifes fathers health, it's about all we can do to run back and forth to the midwest and mid south.

Rich

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Invasion

Or maybe its just lack of interest on some peoples part, or the multitude of reasons stated here, I for one won't be attending this or the TE/AE united
it seems( at least for me)that venues like these are on the wane, besides we'll be in Yellostone!

Joel

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for posting this Eric and asking the question. From what I have seen over the last couple of years we have had some of our main members take up other hobbies and actually sold their cars. That means that the members that are still active need to try their best to get the new guys involved. Our Sunbeam gang is just like our local British Car Club in the way that the members grew up with these cars from the 60's and the members are getting older and older without getting the new younger people involved. The younger kids are loving the cars from the 80's!!

Tom, We had a great turn-out last year for our local SOS. We had 25 Sunbeams. Two Harrigntons, A Minx and a Hillman. We will do it again this coming year and hope to hit 30 cars this coming year. Eric and I have tossed around the idea about letting our event each year be a kick off the year for the Sunbeams. It is always great seeing everyone!!

I brought up doing an Invasion in Myrtle Beach to Eric and it got us thinking about why the Invasions don't draw a larger crowd. The last United I attended had 100 cars in Daytona Beach. People actually shipped their cars via train to that event. So why not the Invasion? I guess one thing we are curious about is if the event was giving members what they wanted.

Just please be honest and let us know why you attend or why you do not attend. Thanks to everyone that has commented so far. I just makes us better offering what you are looking for.

Cheers,

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Candidly, lately it's been a question of finances. I'd love to go. Secondly, had finances not been the main issue I would have to say distance. In defence of the locations, there appears to be a higher concentration of Alpine back east and up north. So that would make sence. Might be in idea to reattach to another event (hence "Invasion") or think about regionals.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Since the thread has been opened up to include why we go, I'll add my $.02 worth.

I attend because I like the SAOCA. It's a bunch of people who love the cars and love to drive them, not so much into showing them. It's an opportunity to be with guys that I genuinely like, both on the internet and in person. The cars themselves are more of a backdrop. To top things off, my wife enjoys the Invasions, pretty much for the same reasons. Plus, its an opportunity to take a vacation in the Alpine. She wishes more wife's/SO's would attend.

Bill

SoCalpine

Donation Time
For me what isn't about cost is about distance. Were my car running, and I'm not all that far from that, I would be hesitant to go more than 300 miles for an event. I would consider something in AZ or Reno/Tahoe but if an event means I have to drive through Vegas, Texas or Utah I won't consider it.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
It's understandable that distance can become a limiting factor, but I like the part about driving to the Invasion, the further the better especially into a part of the county relatively new to me, and top down all the way.

My car was a basket case when it came to me a few years back but, thanks to SAOCA advice and patience, it has completed trips from Atlanta to several Invasions and to the SUNI in South Dakota.

It's still a little rough :) but the summer is here with good weather for wrenching.

Caravaning with other Sunbeams makes the drive even more interesting and provides a measure of security as well, should anything go wrong.

But as fun as the trip itself can be, seeing friends at the Invasion makes the drive worthwhile.

The tech sessions, parts room, the other Sunbeams && etc provide "icing on the cake."

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
For me, it's mostly geography.

I considered the Invasion in MN a year or 3 ago since it was 'only' 1700 miles. Driving that far in a 50 year old car carrying limited spares just scared me. Since I live in an almost Alpine-free zone, conveying was not a option.

Although I've been on the forum for several years, my car was a Minx convert for the first year or so, hence the forum name. Now I have aquired a good SII, a project SV V6 and a truck/trailer that can carry one of them I may come to one. Geography still applies, according to mapquest.com, Nashville is a 'mere' 2845 miles. Three long driving days there, same back, more if I did any site-seeing along the way.

The dates matter a bit. Some years here in the frozen north, my cars are in winter storage by mid October and driving the first few hundred miles in sub freezing temperatures isn't all that attractive. While trailering is an option it seems just wrong.

Al

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
To help determine where is "good" for Invasions (in addition to being in the proximity of the folks who volunteer), it would be interesting if we could have a map of members. Doesn't have to be accurate to the street level... just the county or major city would be fine. And it could go by screen name, rather than real name, for privacy reasons. Sort of like Google maps for Alpines, etc.

I've not had time to look, but it seems like Google would already have something for that. If we could crowd-source the information (as in, enter it yourself) that would make it less difficult to do.

Note: not intended to be something else Andrew has to take care of! :D

This is a Google Maps "my places" thing, that can be collaboratively edited by Google account holders on an invitation basis. It's private, in that it doesn't show up in searches, but it may be findable by 'working' the url. I'm not sure if we could just link to it without signing in, but we can certainly post screenshots. Labels and comment areas would allow some nice customizing.

Attachments

• MapJpg.jpg
    MapJpg.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 30

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ken, I think that is a great idea. The key to turnout is availability of Alpines. That proven many times at Tipp City. Fortunately, there are guys willing to drive crazy distances to attend, but they are sort of frosting on the cake.

Personally, the only problem with the Google thing is that I do not have a membership and really not interested in obtaining one. But I suppose it could be done.

Bill

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I think this is a very good discussion.

I don't have much marketing experience but I'm guessing attendance decisions are mainly dependent on money and time, as other people have stated.

Also, I think we have to keep in mind our target market. SUNI and the United encompass a larger group of cars, whole makes or several models. While we definitely welcome and encourage other models, we are a model specific club. We will have a hard time being as big as those events, never mind an MG gathering or Fiat national like FLU Freakout.

Mabye we have some marketing types among our members who could help out. Maybe we should even add a PR Board position?

Finally, to Ken's idea, we already have the registration info to be able to map out the membership map, might take some scripting or something but in theory it's doable. There might even be some stuff out there to do this. If I get a chance I will try to at least compile the raw data.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
OOPS

I normally would like to attend.After we lost one of our sons 6 years ago it took the wind out of our sails. We certainly have made long trips in the 62 in the past.

I am trying to get back in the swing of things and the last car show was the longest I have stayed.Having the grandson driving one of the cars is a tremendous good feeling.

I wish everyone to enjoy with smooth roads

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
This discussion reminds me that I conducted a member survey about 7 years ago, results of which were published over three issues of the Marque. One set of questions in the survey covered the Invasions and the last installment (and the last issue of the Marque) contained my write-up of the results. While the data are now pretty dated, I just reviewed the article and think it is still pretty relevant. http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/alpine_marque/fall_2006.pdf

p.s. I haven't registered yet, but am definitely planning on being there.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Next Year, Really I will come!

:D For myself I started out so enthusiastic, new hobby and new beginning for me since being widowed. The only invasion old Vicki the Alpine has attended is the one I hosted here in Tulsa, OK, and it was a bust, too far for most too come, and then it was horribly hot. Honestly that kind of ruined it for me, seems showing up with the corvette or daily driver takes away a lot of the fun. Looking at Jim's article on all the aspects of the Invasion it seems distance and number of members is the key factor. Only 6 of us in that Okla.-Texas window that are active members. We are still on the fast track to relocate to Wauchula, FL and retire, no more work excess’s, no more time restraints, but then NO money may be the problem, we are not independently wealthy. I do so look forward to getting involved but right now just too much on my agenda, grandchild on the way (Dec 2012), daughter's wedding (Jan?), break ground on building new home in Florida (Jan 2013), relocating (March 2013), adjusting to not working!

Donna
;)

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
It's understandable that distance can become a limiting factor, but I like the part about driving to the Invasion, the further the better especially into a part of the county relatively new to me, and top down all the way.

I wonder if most folks already know that as long as you keep moving, you can drive a Sunbeam in pouring rain with the top down and stay reasonably dry.