• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Why a spacer or ferrule?

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
This may be a silly question but why is there a spacer or ferrule used at the top of the centre bolt holding the leaf springs together. Is this really needed? When rebuilding can one just use a grade 5 standard hex head centre bolt and nylock to hold things together at the top of the assembly?

Thanks,
Andrew

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
This may be a silly question but why is there a spacer or ferrule used at the top of the centre bolt holding the leaf springs together. Is this really needed? When rebuilding can one just use a grade 5 standard hex head centre bolt and nylock to hold things together at the top of the assembly?

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew,

On most cars with rear leaf springs, there is something associated with the top and / or bottom of the "spring center bolt" to ensure proper alignment between the leaf spring assembly and the spring perch on the rear axle assembly. What you referred to as the "spacer" or "ferrule" appears to be called the "sleeve" in WSM-145. Based on Figure 2 / Page 6 / Section 11-H of WSM-145, it looks like the sleeve goes into a hole in the top retainer to ensure proper alignment.

The section on rebuilding includes the statement "Certain models have a sleeve fitted over the head of the dowel bolt. Do not forget to replace this".

HTH

Last edited:

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Andrew,

On most cars with rear leaf springs, there is something associated with the top and / or bottom of the "spring center bolt" to ensure proper alignment between the leaf spring assembly and the spring perch on the rear axle assembly. What you referred to as the "spacer" or "ferrule" appears to be called the "sleeve" in WSM-145. Based on Figure 2 / Page 6 / Section 11-H of WSM-145, it looks like the sleeve goes into a hole in the top retainer to ensure proper alignment.

The section on rebuilding includes the statement "Certain models have a sleeve fitted over the head of the dowel bolt. Do not forget to replace this".

HTH

Yes, understood. I guess my problem is that I have yet to pull the leaf springs off of my car and I am rebuilding a SV set of springs to use on my S3. My S3 springs are so bad that they are totally shot and sit flat providing no support at all. I will see how the full assembly sits with the rest of the compenents when I get to the S3 to understand everything. When I pulled the SV leaf springs apart to rebuild, the centre bolt was different with a spacer/ferrule. I can only assume that this is to line up with the rear axle some how. I have yet to find new bolts and spacers like this and was wondering if there was a possible substitute?
Again, I guess I will see how things go together when I get to the S3.

The bolt is almost like a socket head cap bolt/screw. Are these bolts and spacers available or can I use the existing? They are a little rough.
IMG_4831.jpg

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I agree with Jan about using 1/4-28 socket head cap screws. Think I would try to use Grade 8.

The "sleeve" should obviously fit snugly on the shank, so an I.D. of 1/4". Based on the picture you posted, the sleeve length is about 5/16" and the O.D. is about 1/2". The correct sleeve should fit reasonably snugly on the cap screw and in the hole in the retainer plate.

Don't see any reason why you can't reuse the existing sleeves if the surfaces are in good shape.

1/2" O.D. steel tubing is readily available with a 0.120" wall thickness and 0.260" I.D., just cut off the appropriate length.

HTH