• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Whoa, back up......

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Back up lights, that is! I just found these flush mount Wipacs. The only car I have ever seen them mounted on is Ians Harrington. But he only has one. And now for the questions, dealer installed or factory? Do you use one or two? What years would be correct for installation? Neither my Alpine or Tiger came equipped with back up lights. Educate me please. Jeff

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
These were a third party accessory and never offered as a factory item. I've always seen them mounted as a single light and not as a pair, but you could install as a pair. I don't think there are any rules so you could mount 10 of them on the car if you wanted! :D

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Thanks Ian. Knowing they're a third party accessory is a relief. I think they might find a home on a non Sunbeam now. I'm currently involved in co-planning a custom 1950 Studebaker truck build. Jeff

chris

Donation Time
Those look like the ones that came on my SV. Mine came installed as a pair and I've seen them that way on at least one other SV.

65beam

Donation Time
back up lights

i've seen them mounted on many other british cars also. i cringe at the thought of drilling holes in my car to use them.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
I'm not too thrilled about drilling additional holes in a car either. In fact I'm considering welding the holes shut on my extra trunk lid and use that on my car. If the flush mounts were factory I might have fabed up a housing to use them. At least I've got a back up:p plan. A free pair of Hella lights found on a junked VW Bug.

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, the '67 vw backup lights are nearly identical to the wipac lights. It looks like you have the mounting brackets also, which mounted to the inside of the vw bumper through the stock bumper bolt hole. They would probably work just fine on the sunbeam by slightly modifiying the bracket and you wouldn't have to drill any new holes in the beam. Good idea. Kevin :cool:

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Kevin, they are very close in looks but I feel the Hella lights seal better around the lenses and the power lead. Plus considering their age, although dirty, there is no pitting on them at all. They'll polish up nicely. Now to find another set for my other sunbeam and maybe spare lenses for just in case. I can't wait for the spring thaw and the start of another junk yarding season.:D Jeff

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jeff, They did make 'em good. Rarely found any pitted ones. I restored several 67's and liked the look. Go for it. Kevin

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Kevin, the cogs were turning in my head once more. Believe it or not the Wipac lens fits perfectly in the opening of the Hella pod. The screws and the stainless lens keepers line up also. The only problem to solve is finding a suitable gasket material to keep the water out. The Wipac didn't have a gasket between the lens and the base. Although another way might be to modify the flush mounts bulb platform to fit inside the pod then reassemble the unit with the Wipac lens. Definitely something to think about especially since all these pieces were free. Jeff