• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Whitewall Tires

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
I just put on new Firestone FR380 whitewalls and had the rims painted as close to factory as I could get. Here is a before and after. I drove about 60 miles on the interstate today and the ride was smooth as silk. If you go to Firestone for these tires they may be listed as trailer tires. My local dealer had to go to 5 different locations to get me the five tires I wanted. It is getting harder and harder to find a good 13 inch whitewall and I wanted to pass this on for those that like the original look.

Cheers,

View attachment 2481

View attachment 2482

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Those look GREAT Todd. I'm getting ready to buy a set myself and just checked yesterday and Bush River Road Wal-Mart has 8 Douglas 155-80R-13 whitewalls in stock for $32.50, their cheapest tire, mounted and balanced for free.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Turns out the Douglas tires at Walmart aren't whitewalls afterall. In fact, none of the Douglas tires at Walmart are whitewalls. And mounting is free but it's $5 to balance, which Walmart couldn't actually do because they couldn't pump up the tire after ripping the intertubes apart taking the old tires off. Ended up going to a LOCAL tire dealer (not a franchised Firestone or Goodyear, etc) and getting my tires sorted out at more than what I would have paid there to start with. Get what you pay for.

Another interesting thing happened while I was waiting on my tires to get gommed up at Walmart, a guy came in with two 17" custom type tires for Walmart to put on his car. I asked him why he didn't put the tires on where he bought them...no answer....couple minutes later when I made a comment "I could run this place better myself" he replied "So could I, I work at (a franchise dealer)." Guess they don't ask questions at Walmart....Anyways...NO WHITEWALLS AT WALMART.