• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Where can I get STOCK front coil springs?

Jeff@1965Tiger

Donation Time
I am looking to replace my tired front TIGER springs with NEW "stock" springs.

However, I do not seem to be able to locate springs unless they are custom made for $400 and take 2 months to make.

Knowing that there are thousands of USA domestic makes and models over the years has anyone found an OEM replacement?

Someone has had to find a spring that fits perfect ... like a common compact car ... for example 1972 Ford Pinto?

Anyone have any contact info? I would appreciate it.

Thanks

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
The diameter of the spring is not very common hence the problem.
However, you can use a coil over set up for a mustang. it's been posted. On this forum before Jim Gillison? Rick @ Sunbeam Specialties used to sell a 335 front not sure if that holds true anymore. coil spring specialties Detroit also check with Dan R he had springs made.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Maybe here:

The catch when looking for a replacement is the small diameter along with the "closed and ground" end on both ends.

Good luck on your search,

alpine_64

Donation Time
Check mod tiger engineering... they had stock spings

Otherwise the UK Sunbeam guys have had both front and rear springs repro recently

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Just make a shim to increase the spring's pressure. We have a great spring shop here (in Dayton) that can re-arch the leaf springs, I don't know about coil springs. How do you know the coils went soft? I think if the A-arms are loaded w/car's weight and are level with the ground, thats about right
Jan

Jeff@1965Tiger

Donation Time
The diameter of the spring is not very common hence the problem.
However, you can use a coil over set up for a mustang. it's been posted. On this forum before Jim Gillison? Rick @ Sunbeam Specialties used to sell a 335 front not sure if that holds true anymore. coil spring specialties Detroit also check with Dan R he had springs made.
FYI - Rick @ SS does not have them, Dan R. does not have them either - he had springs made years ago but they were a bit over diameter, Coil Spring Specialties can make them for $340+ and 4 weeks. I am still looking. Thanks

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
Coil Spring Specialities is your best choice, and you will just have to wait. Any rate and height you want.
The Mustang II rubber isolator is about half that of a Tiger and will drop the height 2X the difference in thickness, or about .75 - 1". Conversely a thicker rubber will raise the car

I have used a QA1 Mustang II coil-over after speaking with Jim Gislason, a bit of fettling to fit, but an option if you need shocks or height adjustment

Last edited:

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
Just make a shim to increase the spring's pressure. We have a great spring shop here (in Dayton) that can re-arch the leaf springs, I don't know about coil springs. How do you know the coils went soft? I think if the A-arms are loaded w/car's weight and are level with the ground, thats about right
Jan
The front coil spring rate is linear and a shim will not increase pressure. It will increase the spring height

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
I am running 400 lbs/in x 1 inch shorter, from Coil Spring Specialities with dropped spindles. Custom rear springs per Dale's design
.875 front sway bar in a stockish street car