• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wheels "leaking"grease

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I drove my car (Series V) to work last week (100 mi round trip). The next day I noticed small lines of grease running out of the lug holes and center caps of both front Panasports. I assume (always dangerous!) that this is wheel bearing grease. Looking at the manual, there appears to be a grease seal that sits behind (or around - hard to tell) the inner wheel bearing - is this the likely culprit? There doesn't seem to be any seal on the outer end other than the end cap.

Any words of wisdom before I disassemble? If it is a failed seal, seems weird for both of them to go at the same time.

Thanks in advance!

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Could be the type of grease, or lack of grease in your bearings.Could also be too much grease in the bearings..
The seals could also be leaking, but when was the last time you greased the front bearings? There is one seal
in the rear of the hub that's not too difficult to replace if need be. If I were you I'd take one apart to check how much grease is in there.
It's not a terrible job, just make sure you clean the bearings and repack them well.

Can you tell if the grease is coming from the front or the rear of the hub?

Hope this helped,
Steve

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
There are also vent holes in the bearing caps that may be plugged, allowing increasing heat to increase pressure and push out grease.

Maybe.

I know Brad had an issue with losing a bearing cap on the track last year, with no real precedent and no apparent harm. I gave him one off my car (because who carries spares for that?) and I don't know whether he's had continued problems or not.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Hard to believe I lost both caps the same day, when I have never lost one in 39 years, but I guess anything is possible. I will report back when (IF?) I get a chance to check it out - I have one daughter due to deliver our first grand child this week and the other trying to buy her first house. Things are more than a little chaotic right now!

Thanks

TR

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Yes there are inner hub grease seals, if they start leaking they will throw grease onto the brake disc and pads - not good, just done mine easy job once you remove the caliper and take the hub off.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
It appears my inner seals are toast. I bought a new set from Rick. The outer wheel bearings look like new - the inner wheel bearings are the same age and are presumably in the same condition. Any tips on how to remove the seals without damaging the inner bearings? The shop manual doesn't seem to address the seals specifically, but talks about driving the bearings out with a punch, which seems like it could result in damage.

Thanks in advance!

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I remove the outer wheel bearing and reinstall the nut, then pull the hub outward carefully not to hit the nut on the outer bearing race. Use the nut to tap the inner bearing out with the seal, moving the nut to the 12 o clock to 6, 9 and 3 going around until it is out.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
You should be able to ease the seals out with two large screwdrivers and leave the inner bearings in place.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Toyanvil, I thought your method sounded promising, but on a Series V the nut isn't big enough to catch anything - it just passes though the hole in the inner wheel bearing. I know you have an earlier series car - I assume this accounts for the differences I am seeing.

beamdream, This was not a job for screw drivers! Perhaps you have an earlier Series car also?? The seals I am dealing with are permanently mounted inside a metal collar, and the collar is a press fit into the backside of the hub. I did manage to get a seal out last night after resorting to what the garage I hung out at as a teenager called "the Ford Tool" (i.e. hammer) and a drift pin.

Thanks for the input!

TR

65beam

Donation Time
Toyanvil, I thought your method sounded promising, but on a Series V the nut isn't big enough to catch anything - it just passes though the hole in the inner wheel bearing. I know you have an earlier series car - I assume this accounts for the differences I am seeing.

beamdream, This was not a job for screw drivers! Perhaps you have an earlier Series car also?? The seals I am dealing with are permanently mounted inside a metal collar, and the collar is a press fit into the backside of the hub. I did manage to get a seal out last night after resorting to what the garage I hung out at as a teenager called "the Ford Tool" (i.e. hammer) and a drift pin.

Thanks for the input!

TR
For those that haven't seen the two styles of seals used over the years ,here's what they look like. The one on the left is the early suspension and on the right is the later style. The seal puller is a Craftsman item I bought at Sears.110_0276.JPG

Attachments

• 110_0279.JPG
    110_0279.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 21

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I have used this method on all my cars. The trick is to use the nut to hammer the inner bearing out with the seal, this way the seal can be reused if needed.