• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wheel information

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi guys! I was scrolling through some Sunbeam pictures and came across this car, but it didn't have a link or anything to give information about it. My question is, does anybody know who's owns this car? I'd like to know what wheels these are and possibly some more pictures of them. I thought they might have been Shelby Cobra replicas, but after many google search comparisons between the pics, I don't believe they are. This car looks great, and they're exactly what I've been looking for. But I've had no luck finding out what they are, so here I am.

Thanks! Kyle.

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Wheel ID

The earlier photos show what appears to be WESTERN aluminum wheels, but I do not know who manufactured them. The more recent photos are of nicer wheels, but I haven't a clue as to the manufacturer or source. I have bought and sold a lot of wheels for Sunbeams and I have never seen a set like these before

The license plates in the boot are from OREGON. There seems to be a goodly number of Sunbeamers in Oregon and I think they have a club up there. Maybe one of the Oregon guys would know or remember this car. Good Luck!

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Wheel identification

Thanks for the info, Cactusmasher! Ya I've noticed quite a few Sunbeams with Oregon plates as well. That's also where I bought my Alpine from, and at the time, there was 4 more posted there on craigslist and some other people with parts. Not too many Sunbeams here in Spokane, but there's a few kicking around. I haven't met anybody yet, so the forum is my main info source for the time being. I'll continue checking into these wheels though, lol.

Kyle.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just guessing, I'd say they were 14-15 inch wheels with low profile tires....

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Kyle: Glad to know you are from Spokane. I make 3 to 4 trips a year to Spokane. My daughter and her husband and our 3 grandchildren liver there on South Hill. I have been to cruise nights at the Steer In hamburger place on North Division street. Have been going to Spokane since the 1980s. I have only met one other Sunbeam guy up there. Don't remember his name but he had a pink or fuscia colored late series with a racing stripe on it. I think he sold it or was trying to last time I saw him. Where about are you located up there? I will be going up again in late May for a couple of weeks. Always glad to meet another Sunbeam guy and glad to help in any way. I have been into Sunbeams since late '70s and owned a lot of them. I have restored some, parted out some and hotrodded a couple, ala Darkside V6s. Happy to exchange contact information if you like.........send a pm.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Wheel info

Thanks Dan! Ya I was guessing somewhere in that size range. I looked a bit more and I think they might be US Mags "Rebel" wheels. Since I'll be converted to 5 lug once I'm done, just figured I'd find the wheels I would want so I can make sure I get the new rear axle shortened enough so they don't stick out too far and/or rub lol. And Cactusmasher I saw that pink Alpine with a white stripe in the background of a craigslist posting for a Schwinn bicycle about 2 months ago and sent him an email just to say "nice Alpine!". He was like "yeah, the girls in the family like pink". Hope he didn't take it the wrong way, because I thought it looked like a pretty nice car.... I actually live in Priest River Idaho now about an hour north, but I commute to Spokane every day for work, and most my family still lives there so I visit quite often too. I've been to the cruise in at the steere in many times, and my grandparents live a couple blocks from there. They canceled it because the new pawn 1 complained about the cars crowding the parking lot and blocking customers so they threatened to tow people. They now go to Shakeys just up passed the "Y". I'm from the Valley, just east of 8th and Carnahan. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys as this project progresses!

Thanks! Kyle

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
the car is actually Bill Dolittles ánd its a forest green car.. but dusk photo makes it look black,

Car was finished last year by rootes group depot. The wheels are custom made 16" versions of a 13" design that was a protoype LAT wheel that never made production.

He is a STOA and CAT member.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Wheel info

Oh wow, looks like I won't be finding those wheels any time soon.... Thanks for the replies though! I had a feeling once I posted the car, it would be recognized. Good thing I kinda found something I like, so I'll see what I can do.

Thanks guys! Kyle