• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What's up with my trunk lid?

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi guys, before I start sanding on my Alpine in the next couple months I just wanted to know a question about the "Sunbeam" letters for the trunk lid. My car doesn't have them, nor does it have any holes for them to mount. All I have is two holes for my license plate, and my "SIV" badge that's mounted. I've only seen one picture of another that was the same out of quite a few pictures online and was wondering why I don't have any? I like the way they look so I was going to drill holes to mount them before paint, but if there was any special reason why mine doesn't have them then I would leave them off.

Thanks! -Kyle

Last edited:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I'll bet if you look on the inside of the trunk panel you will either see bondo pushed out the holes or you will see evidence of the holes being welded shut.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Ya, I was thinking the same thing, but never thought to look before I put the car up for storage. It was re painted from carnival red to black years ago so that could very well be what happened. Thanks for the quick reply!

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Years ago when I did the bodywork on mine, I did bondo over the holes with a skim coat. After block sanding and priming, I found enough of the holes from the backside that I could mark where the holes should be with my "letters" and carefully drilled the exact same spots.

I have to admit though, the lines of the trunk look a bit sportier without the letters.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Haha yeah, when I first bought my car I towed it to my dads house and then followed him to my house (I borrowed his trailer and a truck to tow it from oregon to Cheney, wa) he volunteered to diliver it to my house 2hrs from his place to save time, and it looked so cool following it from behind I damn near ran into it because I didn't see my dads brake lights because I was so focused on my Alpine, haha. I took a picture to remember the moment :D. I might leave them off, don't know yet?