• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What We Started With

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
I'v promised to post some pics, soooo it's about time for me to take time and do it...

True barn find, these are pretty much as found....last tagged in '86, 43,xxx miles, one owner(we think). The motor was stuck, some PB Blaster down the plug holes freed it up in a couple of days. After we got the motor un-stuck...And AFTER we got the clutch working.....We found out the clutch was rusted tight to the flywheel.

Naturally the tanks leaked, the fuel pump was shot, the gas line was plugged. A couple of days work and we were driving up and down the street....gas can taped to the hood and no brakes.....This thing is gonna be an easy fix......If we only knew.......

Attachments

• Green and dirty 2.jpg
    Green and dirty 2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Green and dirty 3.jpg
    Green and dirty 3.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 96

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
In case anyone wonders, I DON'T have a mouse in my pocket...In this instance WE refers to me(in the pic) and my camera shy friend Ted, We've been buying, fixing, enjoying, and then selling cars for 30+ years.

This SV is the first LBC for either of us, and has been a learning experiance all the way thru...My only contact with a Sunbeam was Get Smart on tv in the 60's and Ted saw one at a car show sometime..I wish I had a dollar for each time we said..."If I could just SEE one...To see how this goes together"..

Being good American hot rodders that we are, when he drug it in, the intention for this Sunbeam in the beginning was to clone a Tiger. I'm still not sure if the realization of just HOW much work and fabrication that would require, or the fact that this car was rust free and unmolested, led us to keep it mostly original.

Attachments

• Marty (2).jpg
    Marty (2).jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 46

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
I apoligize for not having more "in progress" pics....but this is what we have now........ 2 years later.

We're trying to keep this project under $6500....We're close to done, but that budget is getting harder to keep.

Attachments

• 000_1992.jpg
    000_1992.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 94

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
Heres a few more...I'm especially proud of that front valence. The original was badly mangled, I hammered this one out of a Dodge pickup bedside I scrounged from a buddys bodyshop scrap pile.

Attachments

• 000_1990.jpg
    000_1990.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_1454.jpg
    100_1454.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 91

KenDemp

Donation Time
Hey that looks good.

Did your budget include the original purchase price of the car?

I am glad you showed the pic with the wheels. I have a set like that that I got as part of a batch of parts that I bought. I was wondering how they were going to look on the car. I have to say I like them, but I have some polishing to do.

Are you going to do another Sunbeam after this one is done?

Ken

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
Hey that looks good.

Did your budget include the original purchase price of the car?

I am glad you showed the pic with the wheels. I have a set like that that I got as part of a batch of parts that I bought. I was wondering how they were going to look on the car. I have to say I like them, but I have some polishing to do.

Are you going to do another Sunbeam after this one is done?

Ken

Thanks, it's been a lot of work. Yes, that budget includes the purchase price. Those wheels do look good. We have the center caps also, but they stick out to far IMO. We'd like to find or make some smaller hub covers, more like an Anson Sprint wheel that just snaps into the wheel center, but the fronts don't have enough radial clearance to fit any. Maybe if I enlarged the center hole a little they might work.

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
What a great job .hammered a valance from a bedside ...whew

Thanks. It's not perfect, and not an exact duplicate either, Notice no license mount for instance. But it also wasn't 700 smackeroos either. I probably had 12-15 hours making it and installing. A good thing labor is cheap when you do it yourself....

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
A start is what you had, not anymore....

Nice work, Guys:D

Hope you get to really enjoy driving around and watching all the 'EYES FOLLOWING" !

Do another! It's fun!

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
A few more

Attachments

• 000_1991.jpg
    000_1991.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_1456.jpg
    100_1456.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 000_1988.jpg
    000_1988.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_1458.jpg
    100_1458.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 37

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
All I have for now...Hopefully more progress this weekend.

Constructive criticism welcomed...Let me know where I'm going wrong and how to make it better.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 000_1987.jpg
    000_1987.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_1455.jpg
    100_1455.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 000_1989.jpg
    000_1989.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 44

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Constructive criticism welcomed...Let me know where I'm going wrong and how to make it better.
Thanks.

Clearly, you need to do another one in order to really learn what you are doing. How about I tow my SIV to Kentucky to let you get a little more practice?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Clearly, you need to do another one in order to really learn what you are doing. How about I tow my SIV to Kentucky to let you get a little more practice?

He needs waaaaayyy more practice than just yours. I should think about 4-5 more and he'd be considered adequate. ;) :)

I'm shipping my Morris to him tomorrow.

mferris

Donation Time
Awesome job.

A question on the homemade valance, which I'm planning on attempting myself as well - any pointers on how you rolled the edges so cleanly?

-Mike