• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What do you tow with an alpine?

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Back in 1963 my Promotional Harrington Le Mans (PHLM) was used to pull the Forsgren brothers (Lyle and Dale) Forsgrini Veloce race car to the tracks. I removed the hitch when I restored the PHLM.

upload_2021-8-3_20-4-7.png

images

I entered the following photo into the Portland ABFM photo contest one year.
upload_2021-8-3_19-48-31.png
The Proper Tow Vehicle for a Sunbeam Alpine

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I bought an Alpine and the daughter of the owner said he used to tow a small boat probably a 10 to 14 ft aluminum fishing boat.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm thinking I will need to beef up the rear springs if I want to tow my boat.30016341-BDC8-47A3-A0DE-02B1920EAD9B.JPG

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Tom Hall iirc used to tow a Tiger race car with his Tiger and also a Studebaker avanti.

I had a tiger with a tow bar fitted in the 60s, apparently used to tow a small trailer

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've never towed anything with the Alpine, but I've towed numerous Alpines!!

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not if it was his idea to add those flares. ;)

I guess that depends. Chuck had that Alpine a very long time. IIRC, when the OE drive train was replaced with a Cologne v6, the Alpine received the full Mutt II rear end and, eventually, a hybrid Alpine/Mutt II front suspension. I think he accumulated 180,000 miles on the v6 before it died. He debated with himself before deciding on the future of the Alpine.

I hope you are able to enjoy your Alpine v8 as long and far as Chuck was able to with his Alpine.

His caption for this pic says "with Ford Racing 302".

index.php

His other project "Spirit of Lister" 351 t5 on a 64 Alpine

index.php

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I hope I get half the enjoyment out of mine. Of course I was just teasing about the flares, and they actually look somewhat better from the front.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Not to hijack this thread, but I haven't thought about Chuck in a long time. He was really a wonderful asset to the club. I actually have the radiator from his car's V6 days. It will go on my V6...eventually.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I hope I get half the enjoyment out of mine. Of course I was just teasing about the flares, and they actually look somewhat better from the front.

LOL - think it depends on the lighting

I knew, just thought you might appreciate his other pics and a bit of info.

Have fun

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
And I really do appreciate the history. As much as I dont care for the wide flares. I do dig the lister. The rear treatment almost has a Pantera feel.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Not to hijack this thread, but I haven't thought about Chuck in a long time. He was really a wonderful asset to the club. I actually have the radiator from his car's V6 days. It will go on my V6...eventually.
Nice that a bit of his car lives on in another.
Chuck was a great guy..
I miss his emails and chats... Him talking about keeping warm in the extreem cold while working on his wagon project for his grandkids ... I was travelling for work when i got his last email and didnt have access to my email for a few days.. I sadly never got the chance to respond to his final email... Always makes me feel sad.