• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What carb are you running on a 2bbl V6?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,

When NorCal refers to a 90* adapter, he is referring to the riser that sits between the manifold and carb. If you'll note in his engine picture, the carb is sitting about 90* to conventional carb orientation for a v6.
In that case, my tendency is to double down on my previous post.
Bill

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
The 1973 Capri V6 was 107 hp? https://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/mercury/capri_mercury_1gen/capri_mercury_1gen/1973.html

Sounds like your starting point was not significantly more powerful than the stock Alpine engine.

Mike
There is an old saying that you buy horsepower, but drive torque. The stock v6 has approx 40 percent more torque than a 1725 and at lower rpm. The key is to have your overall gearing (trans, rear, tires) set up to take advantage of it. An easy experiment would be to throw your original 13" wheels and tires back on if you still have them.

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
I have a carb question. I am running a motorcraft 2150 carb on my v6 conversion. My rebuilt carb has an electric choke and the provision for a heat riser. Do I use both or just just electric. If I need a heat riser how is the best way to connect it to the Jose header.
Also do you use 12 volt or something less on the electric.

If I knew the answers to these I have long since forgot.

John

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
John,

Knowing OEM's don't spend more on parts than required, I suspect the electric part of your choke is a booster to help the choke open faster for emission purposes. Not sure it's capable of reliable choke operation on its own.

Not sure about how best to get a "hot air" supply. Maybe another V6 guy can shed some light.

This video link might have some helpful information for you although it's a different carb but same type design.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
John,
My Motorcraft carb was converted to electric choke when it was rebuilt (was originally a hot water set up). That is all I have ever run with no issues. I suspect you can forgo the heat riser.

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
I thought the final word on this, after Svend Pruit, was a 4 barrel Holly 360 cfm on a Offy split plane manifold ?

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Thor,
The Holley/Offy combo is the generally accepted path to increase power - especially when used in conjunction with a hotter cam, headers, ported heads, etc. It would really be interesting to see what a Holley /Offy would do on an otherwise bone stock engine. For whatever it's worth: I once asked the owner of Team Blitz if he could only do one thing to increase the power of a 2800, what would he recommend? His answer: raise the compression ratio.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
This has been discussed in other threads but the simple reason for the Holley/Offy combo is that the Offy intake is the only one available other than the stock manifold. The stock 2.8l 2150 carb is notoriously restrictive and to use a higher flow carb like a Holley you either need to modify the stock intake or go with the off the shelf Offy.

The Offy intake is a Dual Port (not Dual Plane) and was designed primarily for fuel efficiency rather than performance…but it bolts right on the 2.8l V6 so it’s the easy solution. It’s questionable that it flows better than a modified and machined stock intake…my engine builder thinks not.

The solution we have settled on is going with the stock intake (modified) and the Holley Sniper 2 bbl EFI…along with all the other attendant modifications to the heads, mild cam, and headers. We think that’s going to provide a more consistent response across the entire power band.

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
I hooked a 12 volt supply to the electric choke. It opened at a good rate. SO I guess I will just try it using only the electric heater. If that does not work well a manual choke would make it work and fill an extra hole in my dash panel.

Hope to have the first start up next week - If all goes well.

John King

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
This has been discussed in other threads but the simple reason for the Holley/Offy combo is that the Offy intake is the only one available other than the stock manifold. The stock 2.8l 2150 carb is notoriously restrictive and to use a higher flow carb like a Holley you either need to modify the stock intake or go with the off the shelf Offy.

The Offy intake is a Dual Port (not Dual Plane) and was designed primarily for fuel efficiency rather than performance…but it bolts right on the 2.8l V6 so it’s the easy solution. It’s questionable that it flows better than a modified and machined stock intake…my engine builder thinks not.

The solution we have settled on is going with the stock intake (modified) and the Holley Sniper 2 bbl EFI…along with all the other attendant modifications to the heads, mild cam, and headers. We think that’s going to provide a more consistent response across the entire power band.
Bill,
Very interested in how the Holley Sniper works out - please be sure to report your result!