• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weatherstrip between top and windshield

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
Anybody have any tips or tricks to install this? I worked for 2 hours tonight and can't get it to stay in the metal retainer strip. My original one wasn't glued in and it stayed in place. Am I just not holding my mouth right???

This is another example where I'd LOVE to go back in time and watch them build these cars at the factory.... Wouldn't it be great to be there...standing at the assembly station where they installed this piece of weatherstrip.... or watched the guy that installed the gas tanks and crossover pipes.... or even the guy that assembled and upholstered the seats(with all the gluing and separate steps that it takes).

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Mine was glued when I got it. It, like all the rest of the rubber on my car, was well past it. So I carved out the glue and replaced the rubber with a weatherstrip from Sunbeam Specialties. Well, it doesn't stay in the channel for anything. No matter how I insert it, back part first, front part first, whatever, when I rock the other side into place, a small, maybe 1/16 section doesn't click, and eventually the whole thing pops out. So if you find the magical solution, I'd sure like to hear it.

If I recall, my most successful practice was having the thick part on my fingertips with the thinner part held by my thumbs, almost folding the weatherstrip. Of the two "ears" that fit into the channe, I'd put the one closest to the thick part in first, then I'd use my thumbs to press in the thin side's ear into the channel.

The thing I never tried was to stretch it horizontally bit by bit to narrow the "ears" temporarily. Maybe that'll be the trick. Perhaps I'll try that this weekend.

alpine_64

Donation Time
There is tongue profiles on the rubber that slot into the retainer, I think a but of trim adhesive is s good idea regardless, but to get the rubber in use a very thin flat headvscrew driver ( the small electronics ones) or a pair of flat tweezers to press the seal in and let it go under the retainers rolled edge.

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
Maybe gluing it in is the answer, but I hate to do it that way. I thought about stretching it a little bit to.. but I haven't tried that yet.
I also wondered about lubing it up with some silicone spray and trying to slide it in from one end.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Are you talking about the C channel that holds the rubber in place? Its like the channel around the door? I have had no problem with this if I read it right, I put one side in and use a real small straight blade screw driver to push in the other side. :confused:

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
It took a while but I used contact cement, both surfaces, w/ spots about 2" apart to keep it in place and it has remained in place.
I am not sure but I don't think the current foam material has as much 'push back' as the original.

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
It took a while but I used contact cement, both surfaces, w/ spots about 2" apart to keep it in place and it has remained in place.
I am not sure but I don't think the current foam material has as much 'push back' as the original.

I hadn't considered that they had changed the makeup of the seal. It did seem like this new one is more "foamy" feeling and the old one had a firmer rubberier
feel to it.

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
Are you talking about the C channel that holds the rubber in place? Its like the channel around the door? I have had no problem with this if I read it right, I put one side in and use a real small straight blade screw driver to push in the other side. :confused:

Yes, that's the one....My biggest problem seems like the thick part of the weatherstrip (the part that butts up against the front lip of the top bow) wants to keep pushing out of the retainer strip, and you can't see it to make sure it's tight in it's part of the channel. I'v got some thin plastic trim tools to use in place of the screwdrivers.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tried several things, but Weldwood Contact cement was the final solution. This is the original solvent based stuff. My upholsterer friend swears it is the same upholstery adhesive that he used to pay about 75 bucks a gallon for. I follow instructions on the label, but assemble while the glue is still a bit tacky. Gives me a chance to reposition, but is dry enough it will hold.

Bill

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
I think the consensus is the need to cement it in...
That worked for me, I quit fighting it after spending another hour trying yesterday.
Contact cement did the trick for me, at least I hope it did. I got it in and it's now clamped down onto the windshield frame to hold it in place and let the glue set.

Thanks Guys, for all the moral support and consensus building!!