• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wanting to learn more about the Super Minx

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I am seriously considering the Super Minx that is currently for sale, but know very little about them, other than that they share the Alpine's engine (albeit it the iron head version) and I believe transmission. What else is in common? I would probably put in an alloy head 1725 and OD or 5-speed transmission if I bought it (unless I go with a V6 as noted in the Modified Forum), but am wondering what else I would have in stock that would interchange. How about parts availability outside of the Alpine compatible parts? And finally, at least for now, are there any good forums for Minx owners?

Thanks.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I am seriously considering the Super Minx that is currently for sale, but know very little about them, other than that they share the Alpine's engine (albeit it the iron head version) and I believe transmission. What else is in common? I would probably put in an alloy head 1725 and OD or 5-speed transmission if I bought it (unless I go with a V6 as noted in the Modified Forum), but am wondering what else I would have in stock that would interchange. How about parts availability outside of the Alpine compatible parts? And finally, at least for now, are there any good forums for Minx owners?

Thanks.

Jim yes to all the above.. and am sending you an email :)

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, Michael. This one would be Kathy's*, but I might as well enjoy driving it too! Besides, she enjoys cars with a little oomph too.

*The SV was actually originally her's too (we sold her VW Super Beetle when we bought the Sunbeam), but you can see how that turned out. So, while we would buy the Minx for her, I want to be sure I'll enjoy it too.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4245730877.html

Just looking at Craigslist for Orange CA and I didn't see any travel trailers, but there are hundreds of motorcycles. Might be a good exchange of time for dollars to find out what the seller really wants in a motorcycle.

This is the nicest car I've seen that isn't an Alpine. Beautiful color and style.

Jaars

Gold Level Sponsor
The listing is gone. Truly a very nice looking Minx convertible.
Jim, did YOU buy it, for Kathy ??
Robert

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Not yet, but working on it! I need to get a shipping quote, which I will do today. Stay tuned.

RHFG

Donation Time
The Super Minx was essentially the 4-door family saloon version of the Rapier. Thousands got built from ckd packs in New Zealand in the 60's and I've owned quite a number. Mechanically almost the same as an Alpine except for overdrive and alloy head. If you want to put an ally head on a Super Minx you need to change the cam also as the inlet/outlet port arrangement is different. The front suspension is the same except for the springs, the diff also exactly the same, like the Alpine a 1725 motor came out in 1966. This car was superseded by the Hillman Hunter.

The upgraded version was the Sceptre with all the Alpine motor, gearbox with overdrive as std. I put a 2.0 Toyota twin cam Celica motor and 5 speed in one I had. It went a lot better but drove front heavy with the motor in the same place as original. It would've been a lot better moving it back ala Tiger and using r&p steering but that would mean some floor surgery etc and the engine fit I did only took a weekend to do.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
My wife and I discussed the car and it turns out that she wasn't all that excited about it after all. Therefore, I have decided to pass given that my V6 project is finally back on track and I will soon have it to occupy any free time I have. I called the owner, Robert, and let him know. It is a very nice car and I am pretty sure it could be had for around $5K. It does need some work and some TLC, but I think it would be a good buy. Anyone who is interested should contact me and I will be happy to provide a full report on the car and my experience examining and driving it.