• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Very Stiff Clutch Pedal

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
Greetings, guys and gals. Long story short, I have a T5 transmission out of a 2001 Mustang and the stiffest clutch pedal anyone has ever used. Everything clutch-related is new and my mechanic and his clutch guy are trying everything with limited results. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and if there's a solution I haven't thought of. My dad loves this car but he can't shift after a couple of minutes. I'm a relatively young construction worker and it wears me out after 20-30 minutes. Any experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have the same issue on my 62 ,v6, using the Wilwood slave . Ten years later nothing has changed.
I have become used to it and quit looking for solutions. I would suggest putting a stop on the pedal as according to Jose
his setup can over extend/bend the fingers on the pressure plate, causing the clutch to not fully release.

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a V6 and Wilwood slave myself so I'll look into that. It's a shame because aside from the stiff pedal it shifts perfectly. Just wish PCH wasn't so congested on the weekends so we can cruise in 5th for awhile...

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
510 and Z.jpg You probably have a 3/4" master cylinder. You guys should try a 5/8" clutch master cylinder. Datsun 510 and 240, 260 and 280 Z.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Greetings, guys and gals. Long story short, I have a T5 transmission out of a 2001 Mustang and the stiffest clutch pedal anyone has ever used.

Figure what diameter you have for the master clutch cylinder and the diameter of your slave cylinder.

Post them here and see what response you get.

Another possible reason could be the Mutt II Clutch Release Lever is bent causing a bind.

I discovered a couple of my Bellhousing had been damaged from either a wreck or mishandled by a Prior owner.

Most likely you have a mismatch in the cylinders.

Barry Knight is one of our guys to call upon on these questions/problems.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Whoops! Jim made a post a few seconds ahead of me.

He's always a great source for sound advice too.

I rely on these two heavily...

Of course there are many more members available smarter than I,