• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

vdo speedometer calibrating

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
i have installed a set of VDO gauges on my V6 alpine conversion and am having trouble calibrating the speedometer. I am wired with the hall-effect sender on the t5. There is power to the unit and all goes according to the instructions up to the point of doing the one-mile test...after which, i keep getting the f 00 code. I have tried setting the distance with two different cars, (including a two year old infiniti with stock tires) only to come up with the failure code after each run attempt with the sunbeam. The instructions only say to try the sequence again.
Anyone out there have a solution or idea about this? i am feeling "f 00 ish" that i can't get this to work.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
First, the obvious: Are you using the terminals specified for Hall Sensor?

Which brings up another question, are you using a Hall sensor? You state "I am wired with the hall-effect sender on the t5." Ford Ranger and older GM transmissions us VR. What is the trans out of?

If, after calibration, the speedo jumps a little, use resister plugs. The plastic speedo case does not shield the electronics and leaves them susceptible to interference.

Bill

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
vdo gauges

the Hall sensor came with the VDO package of gauges. It was not originally on the wc t5...which was out of a V6 mustang, a '96 if i remember correctly. I have the terminals wired per the instruction sheet. Everything on it works just like the instructions say it will do up to the point of calibration, when I continue to get the f 00 failure reading. I wired it separately from the other gauges, including ground as suggested. I will try changing the plugs next, as i am also getting some interference on the gas gauge intermittently and maybe getting interference as you suggested. Thanks

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
You say it works up to the point of calibration, as in it displays a (incorrect) speed? If so, the f oo message is confusing, as it means no usable signal was received. That would almost certainly mean an internal problem.

Mine did not indicate anything until it was calibrated.

Bill

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
calibration issue

ahhh sorry. let me make a clearer response. it never gets any movement on the speedo needle other than the full swing side to side when you start the car. which is normal; pushing the button while starting the car brings up the three choices for calibration. I select "autocl"...get the button code...then the flashing "start." After driving the mile, i push the button again....instead of the rate flashing, i get the f 00 code... I have been looking through the VDO website for tech support without success so far.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
ahhh sorry. let me make a clearer response. it never gets any movement on the speedo needle other than the full swing side to side when you start the car. which is normal; pushing the button while starting the car brings up the three choices for calibration. I select "autocl"...get the button code...then the flashing "start." After driving the mile, i push the button again....instead of the rate flashing, i get the f 00 code... I have been looking through the VDO website for tech support without success so far.

Well, the f 00 code means no usable signal. So I suppose the first thing would be to verify you are getting a signal. Personally, I know a bit less than squat about Hall sensors, but a quick Google brought up this little gem. Pretty simple and requires only a multimeter. If you don't have one, get one. They are inexpensive, very easy to use and handy to have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeqzE_eNlio

Hope it helps you solve your problem.

Bill

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
thanks!

Thanks Bill....i can use all the info i can get on fixing this. very informative article on Hall sensors. really didn't know squat about them. k