• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Vacuum lines with Weber carb.

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
I've installed the new Weber carb. I can't find the correct routing of all the vacuum lines and pcv valve.

I don't have a brake booster.

How should I route the lines?

Hose from side plate?

Hole on top of the intake between #1 and # 2?

Hole in the air cleaner?

Hole in the canister on top of the valve cover oil fill?

There is not a pcv valve on my motor. Should I have one?

I have the small line connecting the distributor to the carb base.

thanks,
Wayne

65beam

Donation Time
100_0549.JPG 107_1011.JPG
If you installed something like the 32/36 Weber like I have maybe these photos will help. My memory is getting old but with the wife's assistance we think the carb has been on the green car since the 80's. This shows what they look like today.

Attachments

• 100_0548.JPG
    100_0548.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 12

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
Thanks. Since I don't have a brake booster, do I plug the hole on top of the manifold? Or do I connect the side plate hose there? I don't have any other holes in my manifold.

65beam

Donation Time
Block it off. The hose from the side plate goes to the PCV. If you don't have a PCV block that opening.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Wayne, Are you using the owners club developed curved inlet manifold or the 'log' style one? The owners club one must have the threaded hole in No 4 inlet tube blocked with a plug and the PCV not used. The side and top vents can be vented to a catch tank or to atmosphere. Later 1725 engines did away with the side vent in the tappet cover completely.

Tim R

Attachments

• P1080073.jpeg
    P1080073.jpeg
    483.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Nick's Alpi Carb.jpeg
    Nick's Alpi Carb.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 36

65beam

Donation Time
Tim R,
In all our travels I've never seen anybody in the eastern half of the U.S. that has installed the U.K. built kit. As you can see from the photos above there are many including myself that have used the original intake and installed the 32/36 carb. Do you know of anybody in my part of the world that has your kit? I'd like to see it.

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
This is the manifold I have.
99004.899C-2T.jpg

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
The manifold that Wayne is using is, I think, the manifold from Pierce manifolds, and not the SIV manifold, like 65beam's and not the UK one , like puff4 is using. But I think Tim's recommendation applies the Pierce, the same as the SIV manifold.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The UK manifold has three possible options for vacuum take-off. The front and rear runners (#1 and #4) as well as a port beneath the carburettor, at the side of the main plenum.

I preferred the Webcon/Jerome UK manifold because the 'log' style manifold I had used previously (a period-correct "Conversion Tuning Centre Ltd." UK manifold), which is similar to the earlier Sunbeam and Pierce 'log' manifolds, caused the mixture to make right-angle turns, and the mixture also was condensing in the 'log' (plenum), causing uneven fuel/air ratios in the cylinders. The UK manifold has no 'log' and instead runs from a small plenum beneath the carburettor, directly to each cylinder via gently curved runners. Much more efficient, direct and stable.

You can see the available ports in the Webcon photo below. Jerome sells the Webcon conversion, but with his own jetting, and the one I purchased is from Jerome.

Alpine-Manifold.jpg

Last edited:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Oh, and if I were to reinstall a PCV valve, I'd probably put it on an elbow from the plenum, NOT from the font or rear runners. To date, I have not installed the PCV. I am going to drive it a while in the original configuration first, once I fabricate new pistons for the rear wheel cylinders (out of bearing bronze, to permanently prevent rusting).

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
If I could have found the Webcon kit before I found the Weber/Pierce kit, I would have bought it.
The Webcon looks more complete with the linkage included.
How much is the Webcon kit being offered for?