• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Performance?

John Boggis

Donation Time
John,
If I were to have put your AMG up against my turbocharged V6 Alpine, your Merc would have looked like it was going in reverse (1/8 mile, 7.11, 1/4 mile 11.70, on street tires, not slicks).

Jose

Have got to give you that one Jose...1/4 mile in 11.70 is one fast Alpine !
Faster than a Ferrari F40 !!!

Would you consider sending me some information on your car as i would like to produce an article for our own Alpine mag.

Is this the fastest Alpine in the world !

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
HI John,

I no longer own it. I sold it to my son, and after he owned it for about 4 years, he sold it. I don´t knoiw who owns it now, but if you really want for me to write up a short description of it and how I enjoyed it, I would be more than happy to do it. I used to drive it every day, everywhere, and totally enjoyed it.

I would guess that it is the quickest 2.8 Ford V6 powered Alpine in the world. I don´t like to brag about it, because there are cars that would beat it, but for what it is, it is amazing. I do have to say, there aren´t very many cars that could beat it and still be driven every day, as a daily commuter. It also runs on regular gas and has given 20.9 mpg on the freeway, running at 80 mph. The Ferrari you mentioned may not beat it to the stripe, but it will smoke it on top end. The Alpine, unless it has a wing on it and a front dam, gets kind of squirley above 120 mph. and the little engine doesn´t have the cubes to go much faster than about 140 anyway.

This Alpine was driven from Seattle, to L.A., then to Charleston, S.C. and back, in about 1993, when I took it to the United in Charleston. We had a great time beating some Porsches, and some other makes, along the way. Was a great trip. I will never forget it. Met some pretty fine folks at the United too.

To put it into perspective, the little V6 powered Alpine is an amazing vehicle. It can be almost all things to all people, depending what you want from it.

Try to get someone who owns one, to give you a ride, or better yet, to let you drive one. I would love for you to drive Jim Ellis´s Vader, because right now, it is the quickest NA V6 Alpine on the planet.

I wish I had never sold it! WAAAAAAHHHHH!!

Jose

John Boggis

Donation Time
Thanks Jose for that insight into a very special Alpine conversion.

My problem is that I am a purist by nature,hence why I bought my low milage original Alpine. But the truth is when I am at any Alpine or classic cars shows it seems I am always drawn to the muscle car or max power conversions ! Maybe I need medical help !!

Anyway I will send you a private message with my e-mail...if you could send me details on the build of the car and some pictures I will put it forward for entry into the club mag here in the UK.

lgurley

Donation Time
Thanks Jose for that insight into a very special Alpine conversion.

My problem is that I am a purist by nature,hence why I bought my low milage original Alpine. But the truth is when I am at any Alpine or classic cars shows it seems I am always drawn to the muscle car or max power conversions ! Maybe I need medical help !! .
John,
I think you might be coming around to the darkside. Next thing we may see is questions about how you can fit parts to your V6 conversion.
Seriously, there is a place for purist and a place for mods.
I think I am on both sides. There is room for us all.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi John,

I will send you some pictures and the specs for the car. I have to admit, that I have never been a purist about any of my cars, so have modified them all. I usually don´t modify the body, (love to have a Q-ship on the street) especially any frame mods that will threaten the integrity and safety of the car. Swapping in different engines and transmissions is a no brainer for me. I´m an unrepentant power freak, so all my cars got more power.

Thanks for admitting your weakness for stock Alpines. I appreciate them too, because we definitely need to remember where we came from, but I´m such a speed freak, that I, just like a junkie, I need my fix of power.

If you send me your e-mail address, I will send you the pictures and specs. OK? When you see the pictures, you will probably say it looks like a college girl´s car. It is a light blue color with Panasports and a luggage rack. You would never, ever dream of it´s potential. I got to sneak up on a lot of cars that way. He!He!He!He!He!:D

Jose

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi John,

I haven´t received your e-mail with your e-mail address yet. Do you still want me to send you the pictures and the specs?

Jose