• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Kits

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Hi Jeff,

As of right now, I'm still planning on making more kits. What happens later may change this, but I'm such a believer in the V6 Alpine, that I want everyone who wants one to be able to have one. My kit makes it a ton easier to accomplish, so I want to help as many guys as I can.

I understand that some guys don't like it, but I have never done or not done anything because some folks don't like it. I do this for the guys that want a high performance Alpine. If I can make some purists guys uptight along the way, so much the better.:D

I think you can count on getting one of my kits for your Alpine. I would suggest looking for the necessary parts along the way, (engine, transmission, etc.) so you don't get cought short. How long before you think you will be starting your project? It will be my pleasure to help you achieve your goal.

Jose :)

Dear Mr. Jose (Shelby) Rodriguez,
What you have done for the Alpine community, as far as I am concerned, is no different than what Carrol was PAID to do, only with a different motor.
Factory, NO. Just as spectacular, I think so.
That being said, I will never feel my stable of Alpines/ Tiger would be complete without a V6 included.
The delema at this point, besides time and money, is that I have a couple of rolling chassis that are in such fantastic shape I almost feel they "deserve" factory restorations. On the other hand, being as sound as they are, I wouldn't have to worry about chipping the paint at all the body gaps every time I matted the go pedal.
Point being I WILL be ordering a kit and collecting parts well within the years quoted timeframe, I just wanted to be reassured this wasn't a "last run" situation as far as manufacture went..
I'll be sending an order sooner than later then, be well.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Gary,

I have a friend looking for a replacement for the Fiesta tie rod end. I'm still waiting for the ones I've already ordered, but it will be nice to get a tie rod end from a much newer vehicle, so we won't have these supply problems.

Gary, if you want me to send you the rest of the kit parts now, then send the tie rod ends when I get them, I will do that. Just let me know. OK?

Jose

Hi Jose, any update on the the last 3 kits.

Gary

Gitsmart

Donation Time
Jose, sorry I thought you were shipping the last three kits without the tie rod ends, because I'm in Canada I want to keep track if I'm to be receiving a package or not. I would prefer the newer tie rods as well, but please send the kit without them, the alpine is sitting on jack stands, with the motor mounts I can get most of the work out of the way.

Cheers

Gary

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Gary,

You've got it. Will send it right away.

Jose

Jose, sorry I thought you were shipping the last three kits without the tie rod ends, because I'm in Canada I want to keep track if I'm to be receiving a package or not. I would prefer the newer tie rods as well, but please send the kit without them, the alpine is sitting on jack stands, with the motor mounts I can get most of the work out of the way.

Cheers

Gary

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
tie rod ends

Jose, I was recently told that the early Capri and the Fiesta shared the same tie rod end. I found this on e-bay today and thought I would send it on to you just in case my source was correct .
Item # 220296806202.
I have an e-mail awaiting the vendor for confirmation..

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jose, I was recently told that the early Capri and the Fiesta shared the same tie rod end. I found this on e-bay today and thought I would send it on to you just in case my source was correct .
Item # 220296806202.
I have an e-mail awaiting the vendor for confirmation..

Hi Doug,

There are a couple of things I'm not sure of. The tie rod ends shown apparently are in Australia. Australian cars may share the same name as American cars, but may be different from the American model. Will these parts fit a U.S. spec car? I don't know. The other thing is that they are in Australia, so would cost more because of the shipping.

I am still looking for a replacement part from a much newer car, so we will have a reliable source of tie rod ends. Will let all of you know when I finally get some. In the mean time, those that are still waiting for the rest of the kit parts want me to ship them the parts minus the tie rod ends, I will do that and will send the tie rod ends when I get them modified.

AlpineII

Donation Time
Jose,
Please proceed to send me the rest of the kit and I will wait for the tie rod ends later. I need to get the basic kit parts so that I can get started and I know there is a lot that is going to have to be done.

Thanks,

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
tie rod ends

Jose, Parts America shows Fiesta tie rod ends, ship in one day, 24 bucks.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=80&PTSet=A

They also show some other cars it fits, all are from the 70's

Rock Auto also show them, no shipping dates, $25.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1128271,parttype,7428

Bill

Hi Bill, you came up w/ the same info[part#] I did but I got it directly from Adv. Auto. Unfortunately the 7 local stores do not have in stock and are showing it as "not available". That may be because there is not enough demand to keep it in their data base or their supplier no longer carrys

Jim E

Donation Time
My brother in law works at Auto Zone I will ask him to see if he can dig up a tie rod end with the same tapper. Do we know the tapper, might help speed it along. Then if I had a kit tie rod end in hand it might help. Jose are we able to change the thread count on the piece the tie rod ends screw on to?

gordonra

Donation Time
The link rod itself is 5/8", but the threaded ends of the link are 1/2" rod threaded 1/2-20 x 1".

I don't have any specifics on the taper though.

I'm sure the thread could be changed, but the ball Joint is modified by cutting, drilling and threading to match the rod.

gordonra

Donation Time
Photo

balljoints.jpg

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
My brother in law works at Auto Zone I will ask him to see if he can dig up a tie rod end with the same tapper. Do we know the tapper, might help speed it along. Then if I had a kit tie rod end in hand it might help. Jose are we able to change the thread count on the piece the tie rod ends screw on to?
Hi Jim,

The threaded end of the tie rod end can be any thread that we can get, since we would only need to change the bolt to match, that we weld to the center link. I appreciate all your efforts on solving this problem. I didn't use a stock Alpine tie rod end, because I felt they were going to be hard to find, but now tha Fiesta part has gotten hard to find. I know that there has to be a tie rod end out there on a later model car, that shares the same taper and length of pin as the Fiesta part.

Jim, all you need to have is a stock Alpine tie rod end to look at, because the pin should be exactly what we need. I can always change the bolt to suit whatever tie rod end you find.

Jose

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The link rod itself is 5/8", but the threaded ends of the link are 1/2" rod threaded 1/2-20 x 1".

I don't have any specifics on the taper though.

I'm sure the thread could be changed, but the ball Joint is modified by cutting, drilling and threading to match the rod.
Actually Rich,

The tie rod end comes with a two inch threaded hole already. We just cut the excess length off, so that we can make the center link rod long enough to be able to have full lock to lock steering without the ends hitting the bellhousing bolts.

Jose

gordonra

Donation Time
I see....

I tried to look up details of the Fiesta ball joint, but it seems that kind of detail isn't connomly needed.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

I may have spoken too soon. After thinking about it, I remembered that the stock center link pin may not have the same taper as the stock tie rod ends of the Alpine. I guess we'd need to have a steering arm and a stock tie rod end to see if they fit together. Could someone that has both these parts try to see if they fit together so we'll be sure? Thanks in advance.

Jose

Jim E

Donation Time
So basically we need the right taper, and length. Then we find a common end with the taper that is either already short enough or has the meat to take a tap when cut down.

What would be handy is a page of specs on ends so we can know the ones that have the right taper then run prices and availablity. Then start pulling them off the shelf for configuration.

Have to go by the parts houes this morning and will run this by my brother in law

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

The most important thing is the taper and length of the pin. Most tie rod ends come with a pretty deep threaded hole (For adjustment on the stock application), so we only need to cut the end to where we have 1" of threaded hole left. Since the adjustments for alignment will be done down stairs, we don't need that deep a hole. You won't need to tap anything, because it is already done.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Good news guys; we have tie rod ends. My niece told the fabricator to ship the last three kits, about two weeks ago. Have any of you received your kits yet? It seems like if they had shipped them, you should have received them by now. I told my niece to go to the shop to rattle their cage. I hope that they have already shipped, but if not, she will get on their case. Hopefully, we will be able to begin taking orders again soon.

Jose :D