• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 idle fluctuation

Mod_Squad!

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well, hopefully this weekend will be the weekend that I dig into the distributor and try to get some stuff dialed in a little better. Another problem has just crept up as of the last few days. My idle is kind of surging. I'm not sure what could be causing it but it's a bit frustrating. After it's warmed up and I'm driving it a bit I'll stop at a light. The idle will fluctuate between 1100 to say 1700 rpm's or so. It will do this up and down for a few seconds and then it will dip down to like 900 or so and if I don't blip the throttle to bring it back up it will die. I have no idea what could be causing it. I was thinking maybe the brain box is toast. I do have it mounted in the cockpit to keep it out of the heat. The coil is new as I replaced it a while ago.
Any ideas, suggestions etc. greatly appreciated.
Have a great weekend,
Bryan
:)

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jeff is right. If the brain box were bad, it would not run. When it dies, it dies, with no warning, so might be a good idea to cary a spare in the trunk wrapped in a towel.

It sounds like a vacuum leak to me too, so you might want to spray a bit of carb cleaner around all the gaskets in the induction system. Also check all the little vacuum lines, because they sometimes crack and leak.

Jose :)