• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 automatic

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
old age is catching up to my knees. Has anyone installed an automatic tranny behind the 2.8 V6?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
old age is catching up to my knees. Has anyone installed an automatic tranny behind the 2.8 V6?

Paul,

I recall several discussions about V6 auto installations, but not specifics.

IIRC, a few used C3's, but most went the A4LD for its overdrive. A search for "A4LD" gives a lot of returns which might help.

I think Bill B. is using one for his current project. He could probably answer some questions, though probably not much v6 specific.

Hope this helps,

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The A4LD also has a lockup torque convertor. All of which means it eliminates the most popular reasons to go with manual transmissions. My project uses an A4LD behind the I4 Duratec engine. Ford used a computer controlled A4LD transmission with this engine, so I've installed a late transmission bell housing onto a 1992 4.0 V6. DanR is using an A4LD in his 4.0 V6 car. Unfortunately, neither of us has their car on the road. The good news - the 4.0 trans is much more robust than the 2.8 transmissions and is a bolt on. It appears the A4LD requires some tunnel mods, even in a T5 car. Dan is more knowledgeable about the V6 installation. It appears I have set my engine about 1" farther to the rear than the V6's, which seems to have completely changed the installation issues.
Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Paul, I have several of the C3/C4 Transmissions that are in good.

Also an A4LD that will most likely need rebuilding.

A Transmission Shop near me has built several of my T5's and the A4LD in my Alpine Project.

Bill Eisinger is also doing the A4LD. Several more projects are underway.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
We had a C4 in a V6 car. Worked well and was faster than the T-5. It just leaked like crazy. Probably something
a rebuilder did, or didn't do.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve, the leaks are not normal for the C3/4/A4LD trannies.
I know. I tried to get the owner to take the car back to the guy that rebuilt it, but that didn't happen.
Worked really well though while it was there ( besides the leaks)!