• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Twenty-two thousand...

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Are KIP Motors just ripoff artists? I heard the same story about a Venezia engine (same as Alpine) rebuild for $10k. Unbelievable! Are they trust worthy for parts, or also overcharging? Robert

I have only limited experience with Kip, but think we are being overly hard on them. For what its worth, my only experience was buying a set of their SII dash escutcheons for an Alpine owner in Australia. I didn't think the quality was worth the price and called them. They readily took them back and sent out another set and were very easy deal with.

Now, that said, I am not condoning charging $22,000 for the work they did on this car. But, they are free to charge whatever customers are willing to pay and doing more work on a car than the car is worth is not their responsibility. Yes, it would have been nice if they had warned this guy that he was over-investing in his car, but none of us know what conversations they had with the owner. Most of us do our own work on our cars, so any amount charged feels exorbitant to us. I certainly wouldn't pay someone $22,000 to work on my car, but that doesn't mean they can't charge that to someone willing to spend the money.

Just my 2 cents. And worth every penny of it!

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I disagree. It's all in where you buy and sell.

List your car on Hemmings and wait and you might get 30 or 40 thousand.

List and re-list on eBay and you'll eventually get the 23 you mention.

List here on this board and you'll be lucky to get 15. Didn't Bob B recently sell one of the nicest SIIs in existence for about that?

This forum is a buyers paradise. Everyone here already has a car. Many built the Johnny Cash way. I wouldn't be surprised if more than a few of us don't have 20 plus in our cars and not even know it. And not nowhere near the condition of your SIII.

I like my Sunbeam too much to add up receipts.

You might LIST it in Hemmings for 30 or 40 thousand, but it doesn't mean you'll GET 30 or 40 thousand.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
You might LIST it in Hemmings for 30 or 40 thousand, but it doesn't mean you'll GET 30 or 40 thousand.

I think for a person who makes 50-60 thousand a year, or like me, less, Kip Motors doesn't do their work and they'd never pay 30 plus for any car. But for someone that makes substantially more, say 5-6 million a year, Kip's prices are just fine, and they don't want my car. They want perfection. Paul's car is what they want. Tiger prices are there. If an Alpine were that much different from a Tiger, there'd be no TAC. Not like they're going to drive it everyday, but with OD, guess they could.

My two cents and 37 more buys a senior coffee at Micky D's.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I just left KS and wanted to stop by Paul S's and see his BEAUTIFUL ALPINE:D, but had to skip the visit.

Perhaps another day!

Paul has one of the best I've seen.

Do like JohnW said put it up and watch it go for big bucks.

DanR

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
...put it up and watch it go for big bucks.

DanR

Then get another car and do it again!

Or you could be really cool...just drive it!

At a British car meet, years ago, I spend a long time examining a Series 3 that was absolutely perfect. Like brand new. Flawless.

About a year later, I saw the same car again. As I approached, first thing I noticed was a big rock chip in the paint. As I got closer, I noticed another, and another; then I noticed little signs of wear here and there. I remember thinking "this car is being driven!"

How cool can you get.

I'd name the owner, but he's so cool already, he might get a big head!

alpine_64

Donation Time
Then get another car and do it again!

Or you could be really cool...just drive it!

At a British car meet, years ago, I spend a long time examining a Series 3 that was absolutely perfect. Like brand new. Flawless.

About a year later, I saw the same car again. As I approached, first thing I noticed was a big rock chip in the paint. As I got closer, I noticed another, and another; then I noticed little signs of wear here and there. I remember thinking "this car is being driven!"

How cool can you get.

I'd name the owner, but he's so cool already, he might get a big head!

Wasnt red... with wires.... and a ST by chance?

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wasnt red... with wires.... and a ST by chance?

Your perceptiveness is second to none Michael. But for the sake of...global anonymity, it was a GT, with 22's...from another Sunbeam club.

Yes, That's the one Michael.

Last edited:

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I added more miles Saturday as I'm playing around with different jettings on the Weber. More paint chips - and it was raining.

Meant to be driven! :)

mikephillips

Donation Time
the cost of paint is getting out of hand. the green paint on the series 4 is a DuPont paint and two years ago it was 600.00 per gallon without reducer, etc.

Be thankful that Doug and his partner can still paint without a million bucks worth of specialized painting equipment and environmental controls. Day will come when only big shops will be able to afford the stuff to shoot paint and comply with regulations.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
On another note, if anyone is serious, I'll part with mine for $23,000. I've been thinking about it anyway, and this was about the lowest I would go. You get an interior, and I get Tiger resto funds. :)

Alp2.jpg

9c4d0aa2.jpg

PaulsDash-1.jpg

Oh Paul, stop showing pictures of yours!! I have to go out into the garage and look at mine!!!!!